Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being offered the above. The condition is like-new with bayonet, frog, and papers. But, the asking price is ridiculously high, in my opinion, leaving little to negotiate about. Does an asking price of $4200 even make sense? The gun is on Armslist right now. I can post a link, but I can't remember if that's allowed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Yeah, I had no idea what he was going to ask when we talked about it several months ago. My eyes just crossed when he told me. I totally agree about Armslist. I even had a buyer try to rip me off on a scope deal once. I don't even look there anymore.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,548 Posts
I'm being offered the above. The condition is like-new with bayonet, frog, and papers. But, the asking price is ridiculously high, in my opinion, leaving little to negotiate about. Does an asking price of $4200 even make sense? The gun is on Armslist right now. I can post a link, but I can't remember if that's allowed.
That's way too high.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You're one of the smart ones to ask first before jumping in and buying. I have seen so many posts that start off with "I just bought XXXXX- How'd I do?"

Research, research and research and ask questions of people who know more than you. Keep looking. Good luck. I agree about Armslist- I haven't looked on there for years.

·
Registered
614 Posts
While it would be nice to have a mint early S-C, $4200 is beyond ridiculous. I will say that a S-C with the correct six groove barrel should command a bit of a premium over a more garden variety one. Even though prices these days are getting to be beyond stupid, I think that top dollar should be more in the $1500 range + or - $100 if they're including the bayonet.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boy is that ever a good point, bigwagon. I talked to the guy. He was calm and receptive, but still feels he's in the right here. I know he's legit. I'll point that out. I think he'll be back later.

Thanks all!

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
You don't indicate whether or not the bolt, stock, trigger guard, and butt plate are correct for a Smith Corona. A lot of them are not. If they are not then it is just another slightly uncommon 03A3. The components to correct them can be spendy in a hurry, running into a few hundred dollars. I can post pictures of a correct SC 6 groove if you wish.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You don't indicate whether or not the bolt, stock, trigger guard, and butt plate are correct for a Smith Corona. A lot of them are not. If they are not then it is just another slightly uncommon 03A3. The components to correct them can be spendy in a hurry, running into a few hundred dollars. I can post pictures of a correct SC 6 groove if you wish.
I also have an original condition early S-C with the six groove (12-42) dated barrel. Your are quite correct in that the vast majority of Smith-Corona's have been rebuilt with a mixture of original S-C and Remington parts. In some cases the only S-C part on them is the receiver.

I was just looking on Gunbroker and I saw several of the Smith-Corona's with high starting prices (and zero bids) that had some Remington parts on them, including a couple that even had Remington barrels and one that had some standard '03 parts. Small parts can easily be swapped out if the owner desires, but things like stocks and barrels can get very pricey.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My guy seems to know where the asking prices are online for comparable examples. Seems to know his small parts, too. I'll give him credit. He insists that his is nicer than the nicest. Maybe he's right. What's that they say? "That last percent can get expensive."

But, no way. I expect to hear from him again after Armslist beats him up awhile, but we'll never close the gap. He's four times what I was expecting to hear.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My guy seems to know where the asking prices are online for comparable examples. Seems to know his small parts, too. I'll give him credit. He insists that his is nicer than the nicest. Maybe he's right. What's that they say? "That last percent can get expensive."

But, no way. I expect to hear from him again after Armslist beats him up awhile, but we'll never close the gap. He's four times what I was expecting to hear.
Yeah, he is dreaming big on that one. There is a huge difference between asking prices and what folks will actually pay. Better to walk away and spend less money elsewhere.

·
Registered
188 Posts

Seems to me that the rifle isn't really for sale! When you get into those high price listings it's more someone who feels they have to sell but don't really want to. I once saw a beat-up luftwaffe marked K98k at a gun show a couple years ago. Not in particularly good condition either. Price tag - $8,000. It never sold. That rifle may be worth $4200 to him, but surely not to anybody else.

I was on the hunt for a 1903A3 Smith Corona for 6 months before I found one that was unmolested and in fine condition. I live in the city where they were manufactured so I just had to have one as a part of local history. Mine is a 4-Groove July 1943, no arsenal stamp. Also be mindful of the finish, as you may know that it is a mix of blued and parkerized. Anything that is completely parkerized is arsensal refinished. Some got re-arsenaled with an arsenal stamp but some of those that were arsenaled avoided the re-park job. Stock should be pinned and have the appropriate SC cuts, proofs, and sub-inspector markings. I have found that SC stocks are much darker in appearance than Remington stocks.

There are so many nuances, caveats, and intricacies when it comes to an SC 1903A3 it's almost like trying to identify an all-matching Mauser.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.