Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friend of mine passed away a while back. We were visiting his wife a few weeks ago, and she brought out this Mauser that her husband owned, and asked me what it is worth.

Typical cock-on-closing pre-98 small ring Mauser. There is some etching on the bolt face, presumably from gas leaking around the primer.

It is marked 7.62 on the left side of the receiver ring, definitely not a Chilean 95. Has five characters in serial number.

I slipped an empty 308 Win case behind the extractor, tried to chamber it, and the bolt closed on the case smooth as butter.

Matching numbers, appears to be complete, including cleaning rod, no Bubba, no missing parts that I can see. The bore is like new: mirror bright with deep, sharp rifling.

What can you tell me about this rifle? Who was it made for? Any idea what it is worth?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Spanish M1916 short rifle, second pattern. Often mislabeled M1916 carbine. Takes the longer Spanish bayonet. Originally made in 7X57, some changed to 7.62 NATO. Either caliber is pretty common, the 7.62 is worth less. Made in Spain. No crest remaining on receiver indicates rebuilt by Spain. You can search on "Spanish M1916" to get an idea of prices.

The cleaning rod looks shorter than it should be. Possibly a carbine cleaning rod.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
IF it has been altered, it should have 7.62 on the receiver. I cannot see it in the pictures. With no markings I would expect to find it still chambered in 7x57 Mauser. Nice bit of tiger striping at the wrist area.

That rifle does have one rather puzzling feature; no crossbolt adjacent to the receiver ring, but one in the wrist. I have never seen that before.

Here is a good reference website. http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
geladen, thanks for your help with this. It certainly looks like a short rifle, rather than a carbine.

LVSteve, the stamp is light, marked CAL 7,62 just behind the collar, ahead of the vent hole, not on the top of the ring like some others I have seen.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
A friend of mine passed away a while back. We were visiting his wife a few weeks ago, and she brought out this Mauser that her husband owned, and asks me what it is worth. What can you tell me about this rifle? Who was it made for? Any idea what it is worth?
Thanks,
Ted
Ted,
This is a rifle which is currently imported by a Miami dealer. It retails for $169.95. See this URL:
https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-1916.html.

They are very common, having been on the market in North American for many years
Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm looking for info on the shootability of the small ring 7.62 conversions.

Apparently these are priced low because most people consider them unsafe for lots of shooting.

Other people say they have been banging away with them for years with no problems.......

The issue is not so much the "strength" of the receiver but more the locking lugs, it seems these rifles can develop excessive headspace and lug setback, but there is no clear info as to whether it was from shooting the higher pressure .308 Win or 7.62 Nato.

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
the rifles were converted to 7.62 cetme, not 7.62 nato. still a 7.62x51mm cartridge, but it developed less pressure. The same round the first model cetme rifles were built for.
The debate about them being safe for 7.62 nato ammo has been around as long as the rifles have been here.
y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hmmm something to think about, anyway while I was looking up "7.62 Spanish Mauser" on google and GB I re-discovered my desire for an FR8, I wanted one of those since 2003 and never got one.....hmmm........good news is there's plenty of them for sale and most are under $300. It's gonna be one of those things, I must have walked past 20 of them at gun shows in the past 3 years when I was looking for other stuff, but now that I want one I'll never see them!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
the rifles were converted to 7.62 cetme, not 7.62 nato. still a 7.62x51mm cartridge, but it developed less pressure.

The 7.62 CETME was developed to produce less RECOIL, not less PRESSURE! It was loaded with a lighter bullet and a suitable FASTER burning powder. The Spanish arsenal data sheets for 7.62 CETME and 7.62x51 NATO show the exact same average chamber pressure for both of these cartridges. What ever "cartridge" these carbines were intended for or used in service....the PRESSURE of the two rounds should be of no significance in the argument at all.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
This is an ancient debate. The real danger is the higher pressure of .308 commercial rounds. Stick to 7.62 Nato milsurp in military rifles.
I have yet to see any "higher pressure" commercial .308 ammo. Most of the average (Big 5 supplied) ammo I see these days feels like it is loaded with a slow powder to make the recoil feel softer in a bolt gun. For sure NATO 7.62 surplus has a sharp feel in recoil compared to Remchester 150 gr in my bolt guns. Conversely, I cannot shoot the Winchester Super X from my FAL as it clearly has a looong pressure curve. Bent rims and lethargic extraction are the clues. Remington FMJ in the green box is better, but still not as good as NATO 7.62.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
The pressure specs for .308 and 7.62x51 NATO are completely different, using different testing systems and measuring units.
The brass is different, 7.62 being much heavier and having less capacity, which can cause up to a 12,000 cup overpressure in a 7.62 case with some .308 developed loadings.
And Bubba just loves to fool around with .308/7.62 reloads. Partly because Bubba doesn't know the difference between ,308 and 7.62, and partly because he wants to show off how hot he can get a "high power" rifle reload, the combined .308/7.62 cartridges are the number one on my blowup/stuck case list .

So please do as Rex says and in military rifles stick to 7.62 NATO, either military production or CAREFUL reloads to 7.62 NATO specs. And watch out for Bubba products in .308 rifles. As far as the 7.62 conversions go, the original 7x57 was a 45,000 cup cartridge, but the small ring 1893/1916 type actions have held together in tests way beyond proof levels so I doubt there's any problem using new NATO 7.62 ammo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts