Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through my .45 ACP brass I've founds several hundred cartridge cases that use small pistol primers.
I'm just wondering if any of you are using these type cases and how you would compare them to the large primer cases?
Do you notice any loss of velocity between the two primer types when using the same powder load and bullet?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I came across several small primer 45ACP cases mixed in with a batch of brass I was priming. Didn't realize they were there until I tried to install a large pistol primer into one of them. Sorted thru the whole batch and threw all of them in the garbage, didn't want that mixup to happen again. From what I have read there is no difference in the performance of 45 ACP loads using small versus large pistol primers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Never noted any issues with accuracy between the two but I save them and give them to new loaders needing 45 acp brass.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
They work ok but finding them mixed with a batch of regular cases, they can really throw a wrench into a reloading session! Generally throw them away.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,120 Posts
I save them up until I get a few hundred, then load them up. I've not noticed any difference in performance between small primer and large.
I use them when I go shooting somewhere where I will probably lose my brass, and don't bother to save them.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's good to hear that several of you haven't noticed any difference in the accuracy department between the two primer sizes.
What I'm interested in finding out, is there any velocity difference?
I'm thinking about getting back into competitive shooting and need velocities that will make the power factor.
Bullet weight X velocity must be equal to or greater than 185,000.
So does anyone have any chronograph data?
My normal .45ACP load is 5gr Bullseye behind a 230gr Plated bullet for @ 850FPS. 850fps X 230gr = 195,500 PF

·
Registered
569 Posts
I carefully check all cases I pick up. Sort them into LP/SP groups. Loads each normally and keep them in separate boxes. Never notice any difference shooting them. They are getting more common - throwing them away is counter-productive.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I get them in range brass I pick up. They can cause a serious failure and potential primer explosion in progressive presses, so I always cull them and they go in the recycle brass. I do have a lot of 45 brass anyway, so it is not an issue.

·
Gold Bullet Member
21,446 Posts
I give the SP cases to a buddy. They will jam my progessive setup (which is how I found out I had them), so I just standardized on LP 45 cases. Since I have 3-4k cases, I'm not losing anything by getting rid of them.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,643 Posts
Unlike some of the spendthrifts who can afford to toss them, I find enough smal primer braqss to make it worthwhie to save. I've reloaded over 1000 of them uwsing standard small pistol primers, and same powder and bullet combo I use for my standard large primer brass. I don't see any difference in performance between the 2 primer sizes.

I did read somewhere (maybe on an ammo box?) that the manufacturer didn't recommend reloading them. Of course they don't since every round you do reload is money outta their pockets ...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I guess it really depends on what you are loading for, and how much you are loading. As noted by myself and a couple others, these SP cases cause a lot of problems for progressive loaders. I load thousands of rounds a year, and it is not worth the risk to me and my equipment to deal with the small primer'd brass. I sort them out before even cleaning them, and the stuff goes into the scrap brass. I don't want to deal with them a second time by reloading them. If others can use them, that is great, but I dont really see a demand for them, and there is not enough to make it worth shipping.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts