Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on with the small pistol primers ? Are they the new toilet paper fad buying ? Do they make them in batches ? ... I understand it's an election...its cheaper for me to buy primed 380 and 9mm brass at 10 cents apiece new than the primers .. lol... luckily my OCD kicked in over the last couple years and any of you guys that have stopped at my house know that I seem to over kill on ammo and supplies....

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
just order them and order what you will need for a while https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/primers-powder#facet:&productBeginIndex:48&facetLimit:&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&
What's going on with the small pistol primers ? Are they the new toilet paper fad buying ? Do they make them in batches ? ... I understand it's an election...its cheaper for me to buy primed 380 and 9mm brass at 10 cents apiece new than the primers .. lol... luckily my OCD kicked in over the last couple years and any of you guys that have stopped at my house know that I seem to over kill on ammo and supplies....

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

Same as most well-used components, everyone's buying up what's available. Most places don't have ANY primers in stock.

I went to buy a pressure treated 4x4 post the other day. Was buying them for $7 earlier this summer, but now they are $20. WTF.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again .. my OCD kicks in ...I have about 5k of each style ... going back through post four ... eight years ago I see this it not too abnormal... you would figure that the companies would ramp up production before the crunch so they can sell the most product in the shortest time ... come next summer ... there might be a glut of reloading supplies on the market ...I never put two and two together ... I got into reloading about seven years ago when they were about giving stuff away ...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yeah, huh!

Gotta cut him some slack though, only a couple of hundred posts, maybe this is his first cycle through the "panic mode".

This cycle is compounded though, a combination of "pre election jitters" with the "covid scare" as icing!
Chances are it won't happen to him again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Glad I stocked up before the latest chaos. Should meet my needs for the next couple of years unless things go really bad, really fast. Still, primers may be the new gold, soon!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
47,499 Posts
in the business, and supplies are tight,

any primers sell very very quick, as do the common powders when they come in,

dude had some at the last gunshow I attended, $89 a case,

I still have some left from the Clinton era panic,,,

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
in the business, and supplies are tight,

any primers sell very very quick, as do the common powders when they come in,

dude had some at the last gunshow I attended, $89 a case,

I still have some left from the Clinton era panic,,,
At $89 did you notice if he had any takers?
Just curious.

Some of the lesser used types (I.E., small pistol magnum, etc.) in my stash are that old.

I recall my own first experience with this type of "panic buyout".
I scoured every gun shop in driving range, ended up with some supplies.
One batch of primers had the ink faded completely off one side of the packaging.
Another was from RWS, domed shaped, could not read German so I had no idea if they were pistol or rifle, bought them anyway.
Sorted it out later at home with a German/English dictionary.
Probably paid scalpers prices to get me through but took home the lesson to stock up when the supplies were plentiful.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol .. yep .. this is my first election with reloading supplies.... I spent three months in hospital before last election do to brain tumors.. kinda fuzzy ..worst part is that I'm a huge Cubs fan ... but dont remember a thing about the playoffs or world series...

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
I am set for a while. I just 'inherited' about 50,000 primers from a relative. Mostly Winchester primers (I usually use CCI), but I can live with that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts