Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again everyone. I picked up this little gem off ebay last week and just got it in yesterday but I would love any opinions about it. From what I can gather this little book is some kind of operation and maintenance manual for the type 38 arisaka rifle and carbine but I'm not sure as I've never seen one in person. The outside is in less than desirable shape but the pages and more importantly the fold outs are in great shape with no tears or separation from the book at all. I got it for under $40 so I'm not sure if I got a deal on it or not but either way it adds an interesting piece to my collection. Hope you guys like it and as always any help or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Pattern
String instrument Plucked string instruments String instrument Musical instrument Guitar
Plucked string instruments
Text

·
Registered
762 Posts
It does indeed look like the pocket booklet version for the Type 38. Too bad about the cover. They usually double up the title page just on the inside of these booklets, so if you have time, it would be nice to see a pic. of that page so the title and possibly year of publication can be fully known. Should be one or two pages on the inside from the roached cover. Imo, it is a good deal regardless of condition of cover. I think I have only ever seen the larger white covered version for the Type 38, and those can get pricey.

Tom

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does indeed look like the pocket booklet version for the Type 38. Too bad about the cover. They usually double up the title page just on the inside of these booklets, so if you have time, it would be nice to see a pic. of that page so the title and possibly year of publication can be fully known. Should be one or two pages on the inside from the roached cover. Imo, it is a good deal regardless of condition of cover. I think I have only ever seen the larger white covered version for the Type 38, and those can get pricey.

Tom
Tom here are the first two pages directly behind what I think is the front cover (the portion with writing on it pictured).
Text Font Magenta
Text Pattern

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Yes, the title encompasses the infantry and cavalry Type 38. It is dated March 12, 1908 and has the Army minister's name as well: Terauchi Masatake (who led a colorful life btw) He can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terauchi_Masatake

Nice example, Adogs. I don't think I have seen a fabric covered manual before (usually only within the realm of guntaitechou). What date is printed in your manual?

Tom

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the pics. Yes, the title encompasses the infantry and cavalry Type 38. It is dated March 12, 1908 and has the Army minister's name as well: Terauchi Masatake (who led a colorful life btw) He can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terauchi_Masatake

Nice example, Adogs. I don't think I have seen a fabric covered manual before (usually only within the realm of guntaitechou). What date is printed in your manual?

Tom
Wow I had no idea that my manual was that old. Thank you Tom for all the insight, especially on the history of the Army minister. Are these manuals hard to come across?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Now that is interesting. All information from the other manual is practically the same concerning Army order, title, date and Army Minister name, but design of the booklet is quite different. This leads me to believe that I misspoke on the date of physical publication; that this page, rather, is a kind of "imprimatur" so to speak -- a date when the order to publish said manual first came out with the blessing of the Army Ministry. I wonder if the physical publication date is further in the booklet somewhere.

A-dogs, I would tend to think that your manual is somewhat closer to the 1908 publish date, and the black pocket book came out later.

Blu1989 - Concerning your question about manual availability, while general infantry training manuals tend to include information on the infantry rifle (also with foldouts) and are relatively common, such booklets that focus solely on the rifle itself are rather rare.

Interesting side note about the different styles of manuals. In order to produce the smaller black pocket manuals, an application had to be submitted to the Army Ministry for approval to "shrink" down the manual so to speak.

Oh, and A-dogs, yes, your booklet back has a name as well as a notation for the soldier being a 1 year volunteer.

Tom

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if the physical publication date is further in the booklet somewhere.
Do you have an educated guess as to about how far in the booklet the actual publication date could be? Right now the option for me is to take a picture of each individual page and post them here but that could be a bit time consuming and to a degree counterproductive as the date could be hidden among many irrelevant pages.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Other dates could be just a few more pages in from either cover. Unfortunately, I am separated from my collection; otherwise I would break out a manual and check. If you wish, please PM me and I can send you my email so your thread doesn't get cluttered up. I am happy to help, just let me know.

Hopefully one day issues like this can be written about and published so our collecting community can have an understanding of what made the Army Ministry "tick" for example. It would be good to connect the dots so we can have a greater understanding of the whys and hows of the seemingly mundane inner workings of the IJA/IJN.

Tom

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Now that is interesting. All information from the other manual is practically the same concerning Army order, title, date and Army Minister name, but design of the booklet is quite different. This leads me to believe that I misspoke on the date of physical publication; that this page, rather, is a kind of "imprimatur" so to speak -- a date when the order to publish said manual first came out with the blessing of the Army Ministry. I wonder if the physical publication date is further in the booklet somewhere.

A-dogs, I would tend to think that your manual is somewhat closer to the 1908 publish date, and the black pocket book came out later.

Blu1989 - Concerning your question about manual availability, while general infantry training manuals tend to include information on the infantry rifle (also with foldouts) and are relatively common, such booklets that focus solely on the rifle itself are rather rare.

Interesting side note about the different styles of manuals. In order to produce the smaller black pocket manuals, an application had to be submitted to the Army Ministry for approval to "shrink" down the manual so to speak.

Oh, and A-dogs, yes, your booklet back has a name as well as a notation for the soldier being a 1 year volunteer.

Tom
I should mention that my manual is only 4 1/4" X 2 7/8" in size

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,303 Posts
Yes, I have a white covered version for the Type 99 in my collection. Every other blue moon or so they pop up.

Tom
I have Two T-99 rifle manuals in my collection. They are identical except for being two different sizes
I'd really like to find a T-99 LMG manual. I also have manuals for the T-11 LMG, the T-30 rifle and the T-89 knee mortar.
I really like the accessory items.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
678 Posts
I have the following;

• Type 41 75 mm Mountain Gun (for infantry) handling manual.
  • Type 99 Rifle and Carbine handling manual
  • Type 99 Light Machine Gun handling manual
  • Weapons Course manual
  • Type 92 Heavy Machine Gun education and technical manual
  • Heavy Machine Gun handling and technical manual
  • Battlefield firearms repair and technical manual
  • Type 97 Automatic Cannon repair method manual
  • Type 96 Light Machine Gun handling manual

That is just some of the interesting gun related manuals that I have. I also have a heap of ones on communications, fire control and optics etc.

There were not just handling manuals for each type of gun but there were also repair manuals. These are quite interesting.

Cheers,
Robert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.