Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gunboards is supposed to be a place where folks from ALL walks of life can come to share information and ideas freely without prejudice. We are truly blessed to be able to come here as guests every day and enjoy all that the finest gun enthusiast website in the world has to offer, free of charge, and so with that in mind I think we need to be reminded from time to time that we are all here on someone else's dime, folks. The people who so generously make this website available to us have standards, and it is our job to make sure that those standards are upheld.

I believe a refresher course is in order.

I was briefly tempted to compile and post a list of offensive slurs of all kinds, but upon consideration I believe that anyone with half a brain ought to know most if not all of them by now, so I will refrain from doing so. Instead, I will try to be as clear as possible without having to resort to gutter verbiage to get my point across:

No offensive references to nationality, skin color, religious preference, place of residence, OR sexual orientation will be tolerated on the CEP-GOM board from this moment on, neither by direct spelling nor by clever acronyms or oblique references.

The first two have long been understood, or should have been, but now we find ourselves in need of adding a few more standards which should also be common sense to anyone with two brain cells to rub together. There are any number of non-offensive ways to make reference to an Indian, a Muslim, a Puerto Rican, or a homosexual, for example, without offending a fellow Gunboards member. What many seem to forget is that all of the message boards here at Gunboards have many lurkers who read but never post; another thing to consider is that while some of us have met each other in person, you can never be too sure who's on the other end of that monitor when we're posting back and forth. Gunboards is the finest gun enthusiast website in the world because our standards are higher than anyone else's, and we all need to remember that when we post we are visible ambassadors not only for Gunboards but also for the gun-enthusiast community the world over.

Neither BRG nor I can be here 24/7/365, and we may on occasion miss something, but if we do catch anyone violating the rule above that member will answer for his or her poor choice of words. The primary purpose of this particular board is to discuss Current Events and Political goings-on, and as such there will inevitably be passionate discourse in which tempers will occasionally flare up; this has always been allowed to a reasonable degree and that will not change but it is up to every single one of you to see to it that you keep it civil in nature. Calling another member a "goofy Liberal" in the course of a political debate, for instance, is not generally considered offensive and therefore not harmful to Gunboards' image, but calling someone an "uneducated-posterior Euro-trash Liberal" shall be viewed as a violation and will be dealt with. That kind of nonsense will find no welcome on the CEPGOM board; The Minefield is a much more suitable venue for such exchanges. Many here at Gunboards view the Minefield as the unholy nether-orifice of the site, but I have long been a supporter of it because reality tells us that some folks simply cannot play well with others in a civilized off-topic (i.e., non gun-related) setting. If you happen to be one of them, you will quickly find yourself making new acquaintances or renewing old ones downstairs as the case may be. If you simply cannot refrain from the urge to use more creative language in your dealings with another member, then I suggest that you invite that person downstairs to the Minefield where you can both slur each other to your hearts' content. It is universally understood that anyone who chooses to seek permission to enter the Minefield does so of their own free-will with full understanding that much (but not all) of the content down there is overtly offensive in nature, and the application for entry therein is considered a global waiver with which you give up all rights to cry foul over anything said either directly to you or in your presence on that board. However, the CEPGOM board, while also an application-only board, holds itself to the much higher standard set by the rest of the unsecured entry boards on this site and therefore a bit more restraint is required when posting on this board. As previously stated, a vehement, creative and passionate expression of one's opinion is certainly allowed here, much more so than on the other civilized boards but only as long as Gunboards' image and integrity are not soiled.

Think first, then type. It's not that much to ask.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.

Ille potens sui laetusque deget cui licet in diem dixisse Vixi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - Dutch on 05/06/2007 10:42:39 AM

Edited by BRG - 16 Aug 2007 at 7:34pm
That's Enough of That.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
"Ragheads" and Other Pejoratives

Pay attention, all: This is NOT the "AntiRaghead" Forum, or the "AntiMuslim" Forum, nor is it the "Anti" -any other race or religion Forum. You got a legitimate beef, bring it out; this is the place to air it. Leave the nasty names at home. Don't use 'em here. I am getting cranky again. Do not tempt me.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
This needs a bump up to the top as a reminder to some who seem to have forgotten themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.