Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up several slings for my carbines from Northridge on eBay. They were advertised as 'USED, SERVICEABLE' When I received them it became obvious that some are not. The first one should have been clear to them that it was not - the buckle loop isn't there (the first one). Kind of annoying that they weren't 100% honest. In the second one it's barely hanging by a thread - literally. It's a shame really as the leather on the first one is in pretty decent shape. The question is what to do - I can send them back for refund or try to 'fix it' by stitching it up with something (which I'll need to research). What's do collectors think about such leather fixes?
Bumper Audio equipment Gadget Automotive exterior Font
Automotive tire Coil Alloy wheel Gas Tread

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not familiar with these or their return policy, but check and state your case with Northridge. Otherwise stitch according to your research. Tandy i think has cotton or linen thread that can be color/aged.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've had pretty good luck getting items re-stitched by my local shoe repair guys. Slings are a kind of hobby and help make a few dollars in my retirement, and the deal amounts to: thread on these is usually flax, sometimes early synthetics, sometimes treated cotton, but the leather will almost always outlast the stitches. It's a shame to abandon good leather, even with a wallet.

Reactions: Dr Pew and Cz315

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,876 Posts
'Item Not As Described.'

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
over 70+ yrs of time, dirt, oils, grime, heat, water, ETC, and cotton thread will certainly rot!.so no surprise? just sew it with heavy cotton carpet thread or IRISH LINNEN thread and enjoy them. after all the slings are not museum quality any way. so sew it and enjoy it. they are not an item that one comes across every day. jmho.

·
Registered
817 Posts
over 70+ yrs of time, dirt, oils, grime, heat, water, ETC, and cotton thread will certainly rot!.so no surprise? just sew it with heavy cotton carpet thread or IRISH LINNEN thread and enjoy them. after all the slings are not museum quality any way. so sew it and enjoy it. they are not an item that one comes across every day. jmho.
Dental floss or treated flax is also excellent, and WAY outlasts cotton thread, even sanforized.

Parenthetically, most European leather goods used a treated long strand non-cotton thread or flax, having abandoned cotton before World War I. This is in the literature.

It's very similar to dental floss, which for the most part is a product adapted from other industries.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I only mentioned it just in case there are any STITCH NAZI'S out there. and cotton carpet thread will out last longer than the rest of your life. jmho.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I don't collect leather. I have some old slings and too often they look like hell and are too fragile to rely on. BUT I like the look of slings on my guns so I buy repros freely and feel no shame about it. That said, I had a Swiss 1889 with the original sling torn in half, a friend who works with leather sewed it back together and it's on the rifle now, I just don't carry the gun by the sling.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
usually when leather is torn, it is repaired by SKIVING the leather, then using leather glue or sewing it back together. by using this method the leather stays the same in dimensions.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,925 Posts
I won’t involve myself with the OP’s predicament but I will note that the slings pictured look exactly like the Carcano slings I was purchasing from companies like Northridge, SARCO, Numrich, and others back in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s.

Most of the slings I obtained were in Good + to Very Good condition, with more of the former than the latter. I don’t think I ever received examples in excellent condition except for a dozen or so of the 98k Mauser roller buckle type slings which were in new, unissued condition, and close to four decades later I still haven’t seen much in the way of photographic evidence that such slings were used with the Carcano.

Unless the Carcano slings being sold today are part of the surplus lot recently sold by Italy, I’m surprised that any exist on the wholesale and large retail level. They were never as common as many other surplus slings back in the old days and I think it’s safe to assume that four decades later the pickings are slim indeed.

I said I wasn’t going to jump into the controversy over Northridge’s business practices but I’ll close in advising the OP that the slings really don’t look that bad and I have to imagine he is going to have difficulty doing better elsewhere.

Reactions: TP and Cz315

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Many thanks for all your responses. I ended up sending the two back. Really too bad, but I realized it'll be not easy for me to get them to usable enough condition without an eyesore stitch. I just lack the skills. Full disclosure, I actually ordered 4 and I deemed the other two acceptable (even though the leather was far worse on those, but overall they were usable). I absolutely agree with Richard, Carcano slings are not common these days, so I was happy to jump on this opportunity. I also ordered a long rifle variety off the gray blanket - wasn't cheap but my nice long rifle wanted a sling badly ;) . Should be here next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts