Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen where some No.1Mklll enfields have the sling swivel mount on the trigger guard. I know it was for Mounted infantry/Cavalry,but i have never seen a period picture with troops with foreward mounted slings.I have searched the net,and some books but have come up dry.

Does anyone have a photo they could post showing troops with slings in this arrangement.

markus

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
This is a pic someone posted on another site of a relative of his. I grabbed it because it's a photo of a trooper with the South Irish Horse, and a cousin of my grandmother went to France with the North Irish Horse in August of 1914. I've long since forgotten where it came from, and hope I'm not stepping on any toes here.

At any rate, it's a good example of the sling in the "forward carry" position (although it is a bit hard to see if the swivel mentioned is in use here), as well as the "holster" behind the saddle where the butt would normally rest, with the rifle slung.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks jrhead75, That is a nice picture,and the first one i have seen with the foreward sling in use. Also nice to see the butt "holster". That was going to be my next question:)

Also, did they use the same sling as normal butt to band configeration? If it is,did they always carry the sling with the loop adjusted for slinging over the shoulder? I was looking at one of mine and noted that if a regular enfield sling was used,it would be too long for the distance from trigger guard to nose cap to pull tight when not in use.

I know i am asking a lot of questions,but not ever seeing photos with troopers using the foreward sling position has got me interested in finding out more about it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not exactly contemporary but this display in the Imperial War Museum London has always intrigued me. It was the only one of numerous SMLE's on display where the front swivel was used for the sling. A mistake ?
Unfortunately I can't recall what the actual display was of and never noticed the sling until I was reviewing the photo's later.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Well anything is possible, but the no1Mk3 did not have a sling swivel in that position, that was where the piling, (stacking) swivel went.
As far as I know, the only rifle that had a sling swivel there was the Lee-Metford
Both sling swivel and piling swivel are present in the same fitting, one sitting inside the other. (have two examples of that)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Was that not the reason why the Tgd had the option to have the swivel fitted and then the top one was used for the Cavalry carry? I'm sure after it was removed and the loop fitted on the Tgd for the action cover.... the use of cavalry was perhaps over as well? From the SD pic it looks to be an Infantry Regt & if so would be in the normal position, at least he has his chinstrap on correctly:)))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts