Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope I am not asking something that has already been answered many times; but I did search and could not find anything definitive,

The question is around "quick detach" slings in general, which is most appropriate for a Type 2, and what other rifles were they used for.

I have seen two types referenced as quick detach and have seen references to both as Paratrooper slings.

The first I guess is the leather type with the disconnect snap (? not sure what the correct terminology is) and the second type is the canvas type with the wire at both ends.

I am sure the experts are familiar with these. I have seen in reference books that the leather type was used on early 99s with the oval swivel as well as Type 2s. I have seen references to the canvas ones being "paratrooper" slings; but also that the canvas ones were not for Type 2s, but were just for common 99's.

So can some of the experts weigh in on what was the most appropriate use for these slings? I understand the Arisaka sling picture can be kind of a morass and in many cases lots of expedients were used.

Waiting for some wisdom.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am not an expert, but here is my opinion :

There is a distinctive feature on the left side of Type 2 stocks, a small deep in the wood located behind the rear loop. That makes me think it was to accept the "snaps" of the leather slings.

Most of the wire bale canvas slings are dated Showa 14 (1939), many years before Type 2 entered in production. So I do not think these were specifically intended for Type 2s. However, it is possible some were issued to.

Best regards,
L

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
I'm a firm believer in the Japanese used what ever the could to shoulder a rifle. But to take a look at what would be period correct. I'll take a stab at this. The QD sling with the large clip is more "correct" for an early no series rifle with the oval rear swivel. What is really neat about the QD sling with the large clip is. It left it's mark where ever it was used. The wood around the rear swivel will show the damage to the stock that the large clip left by banging around. So it's pretty easy to spot where it was at one point in time. The wire bale sling was used well before the type 99 rifles were constructed.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
There is a distinctive feature on the left side of Type 2 stocks, a small deep in the wood located behind the rear loop. That makes me think it was to accept the "snaps" of the leather slings.

Best regards,
L
I used to think that about the notch in the T-2 stock as well. Now, I think it was just to make it easy to lift the swivel away from the stock with a finger.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
Nice picture Rob,
I notice in picture one he hasn't removed his monopod or dust cover for the scrap drives yet. ;.)
I think only a few escaped that fate. Here's a close up of the sling on the left. In another photo you can see the wire bale sling in use on T-38 rifles

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think only a few escaped that fate. Here's a close up of the sling on the left. In another photo you can see the wire bale sling in use on T-38 rifles
Awesome pictures. I was trying to find some in Theater pics of Paratroopers with Type 2s but could not find any where I could discern what type of sling they were using.

Great to know that the ones with the wire bales were used on other types as well. Makes one ask why the go for so much?

Anyway great knowledge sharing; as I expected.

Bill

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,305 Posts
Awesome pictures. I was trying to find some in Theater pics of Paratroopers with Type 2s but could not find any where I could discern what type of sling they were using.

Great to know that the ones with the wire bales were used on other types as well. Makes one ask why the go for so much?

Anyway great knowledge sharing; as I expected.

Bill
Some things just sell for more than others regardless of how scarce or common they may be. Hard to say why for sure. You can find a Type 2 rifle on the auction sites any day of the week and yet they still command a high price. It's almost the same for the Test Type 1 bayonet. They aren't that hard to find but go for big bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.