Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I picked this up recently. The can is the same size as a common US .50 cal can but is maked for 1911 .45 cartridges. I had never seen one before.
--Ken

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
Interesting.

I have one marked "Fuses".... or something to that extent. I will have to take a look at mine again.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
those size ammo cans are used for a lot of different use, 5.56 ammo, fuzes, 50 cal, 9mm ammo, 7.62x51( rifle ammo), 45 ammo and a few more things.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,316 Posts
I made a lockable pistol case out of a ammo can I got from the armory at Cherry Point (a 9mm can, not sure if there is any difference from 45 cal).

I used some foam padding from a 40mm grenade ammo can (big!) to line the case as well as create a divider wall between the pistol and mags/ammo. I then put hasp base on so that the lid locking piece fits over the stud, so the stud sticks out through the locking "flap". Then I put a lock through the stud, and it's secure. I can use a rifle cable lock to lock the whole box to the inside of my trunk.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Kind of similar to the one that I had on my 45" WLA that my Papa gave me. It rode on the front axle and was to store ammo for the Thompson that rode the right fork. It was stolen from me in B'Ham, AL back in 1985. Damned Crackhead dopers! I just know my old bike became a crack weekend for some jerk!

I still have a can that is embossed:
Cal .30M1
AMMUNITION BOX

and has

"250 CAL.30
LINKED 4 [email protected] 1 TR M1
FUNCTIONAL LOT NAV-L-111084"

on it in yellow paint.

The raised lettering is on both sides, and "REEVES U.S." with an ordinance bomb symbol splitting the "U.S." is on one end of it. I wish I could post a pic of it. Maybe my buddy will bring his camera over and I can do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got two that I've had since my days in the Army. I just check them; one is just like yours (harder to read though) and the other says '5.56mm blank'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts