Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a Flea Market today and found a seller who had a few Puukko knives for sale. Some were marked with a lion in a crest or made in Finland ,others were marked for Norway. The nicest one I thought was this one I picked up which looks custom made .I would to have picked up more but the seller didn`t want to budge on his prices and I only had so much cash. I am wondering if anyone one here can weigh in with some insights to what I have .Thanks Wood Road surface Asphalt Carmine Soil Hunting knife Knife Utility knife Wood Blade Plant Wood Road surface Asphalt Hand tool Wood Knife Utility knife Plant Hunting knife Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does it read "Luleå" in the sheat? That would point it to Sweden. To my eyes seems that the puukko and sheat didn't originally belong together, the puukko definitely looks handmade and much fresher than the very worn sheat.

·
Site Contributor
1,307 Posts
Nice find. As pointed it might be made in Sweden instead of Finland. It has number of features hinting towards Lapland with use of horn as grip and piece of reindeer fur as decoration in the sheath. Lapland is a geographic area stretching in northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and Kola Peninsula in Russia. It is not a traditional sami knife design, but may have been either made as working knife or to be sold to tourists. Luleå is a city in Swedish Lapland.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies .It does look like it reads Lulea on the sheath. The handle is indeed made from a horn .The fact that it is made in Sweden doesn`t bother me, I may just have an excuse to go back next week a buy one from Finland. I been wanting to pick one up for awhile now .I used to own a bunch until my mother in law found them and decided to throw them away along with my bayonet collection.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have an almost the exact same knife, and the exact same sheath. It was identified by Les Ristenen, author of several books on puukkos as "Probably made in "Kiruna" Sweden in Lapland. Lapland covers parts of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Russia.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I used to own a bunch until my mother in law found them and decided to throw them away along with my bayonet collection.
strange how mothers-in-law seem to think that they have God given rights to make decisions that do not and should not concern them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts