Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Nagant & M/N Russian rifle sickness gets worse, I saw a odd Russian Budyonovka cap in a catolog for $25
It is a Russian import - green wool with a BIG red star. I had to have one, ordered it today. Will ship next week. www.Militaryissue.com item # M6500563A

They have a bunch of stuff guys like us need! LOL

Be well,
point6

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
One of my students, when I was teaching a Russian literature class, gave me one ten years ago.

The odd peak shape is inspired by the Byzantine helmet worn by Russian "bogatyr's" of yore. It was supposed to deflect a Mongol sword stroke to the head.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leon,

How does your cap fit on you?

I think the account on it said something about it being a "helmet cap".
Maybe they used it OVER the steel helmet, to insulate the steel helmet from the cold.
It makes good sense. We all know that we lose lots of body heat from out heads. Add that to a -20 or -30 degree day it would put a man down quickly.

More when it gets here.

Be well,
point6

·
Gold Bullet member
9,508 Posts
Hi Leon,

How does your cap fit on you?

I think the account on it said something about it being a "helmet cap".
Maybe they used it OVER the steel helmet, to insulate the steel helmet from the cold.
It makes good sense. We all know that we lose lots of body heat from out heads. Add that to a -20 or -30 degree day it would put a man down quickly.

More when it gets here.

Be well,
point6
Mine fits OK, a bit large though. My hat size is 7 1/2.
I don't think the Budyonny cap was intended to be worn either under or over a steel helmet, which did not come into Red Army use until much later.

The pointed top, whether intended or not, provides a good air pocket to insulate the head.
I was cleaning up after the snow storm that hit here Tuesday and was annoyed by clumps of snow falling on my head from tree branches. So i put on my Budyonovka and noted that the pointy top lets the snow slide off. Clever, these Russians.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,

When the cap gets here.

I will pull out my East German leather high boots, a M-91 with bayonet fixed, maybe IMPERIAL or RED Russian flag, my Don Cossack saber and a brace of Nagant revolvers on my belt & take a few pictures before the cops & the nice people from the hospital come to the house. LOL

Be well & safe,
point6

·
Registered
578 Posts
I don't have a Budionovka but I have a nice "Fish Fur" Ushanka. I do WWII Eastern Front reenacting and am a member of the 49th Guards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Guys,

When the cap gets here.

I will pull out my East German leather high boots, a M-91 with bayonet fixed, maybe IMPERIAL or RED Russian flag, my Don Cossack saber and a brace of Nagant revolvers on my belt & take a few pictures before the cops & the nice people from the hospital come to the house. LOL

Be well & safe,
point6
Next year's xmas card...don't forget the gas mask!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I remembered seeing one of these hats elsewhere...go check out Dennis Kroh's picture of Big Mike on the remembrance board - classic! The sharing of memories from their Russia trip is also quite moving AND hilarious! Wonder when the next one will be?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.