Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've gotten my Star BS completely cleaned and lubed. I haven't been able to take her out to the range yet, but last night I wanted to test how she cycles, so I loaded up a magazine with good quality snap caps. These are caps that are made out of machined aluminium and they cycle well in other guns.

So I was manually cycling the slide to simulate firing the gun and on a few occasions, especially when a round was a little hesitant to go into battery, if I pushed the slide forward a bit, the slide release would pop out and fall on the floor. I'd then have to take out the magazine, clear the barrel, and then put the slide release back.

This happened at least three times and I don't know what to make of it. I can't consistently cause it to happen, and I don't know what I could be doing that would cause this.

I've never had this problem before on any other gun I've used, so this is new to me.

I did make sure I had reassembled the pistol properly by watching some Youtube videos on disassembly and reassembly of this pistol.

Any thoughts and guidance?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The slide stop is spring loaded and rests against a button on the frame, make sure the detent is working under spring pressure and that the button on the frame is not missing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ibmikey, I pulled out the slide stop and couldn't find the button on the frame. Just to make sure I am looking in the right area, can you please point out which part I should be looking for?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The diagram does not show the stud...if it is missing there will be a hole directly to the rear of the slide stop. The photo shows a round stud the slide stop makes contact with. The grip is cut out for it. If missing I have one in my junk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In this BKS diagram, 26 is the slide stop and and 27 is the slide stop screw, that's the "stud". It has an hour-glass'ish shape so a tiny spring loaded BB that protrudes from the end of the slide stop rests properly in the hour-glass curve. Here's a pic of the slide stop screw at the top of a BKS frame.

diagram: star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/index.shtml

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The diagram does not show the stud...if it is missing there will be a hole directly to the rear of the slide stop. The photo shows a round stud the slide stop makes contact with. The grip is cut out for it. If missing I have one in my junk. View attachment 3773881
Wow, that's a good looking piece!

First, thank you so much for taking the time to respond back to me, I really appreciate it.

Here is a picture of my pistol. I see the round stud you are talking about. It seems to be stably in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In this BKS diagram, 26 is the slide stop and and 27 is the slide stop screw, that's the "stud". It has an hour-glass'ish shape so a tiny spring loaded BB that protrudes from the end of the slide stop rests properly in the hour-glass curve. Here's a pic of the slide stop screw at the top of a BKS frame.

diagram: star-firearms.com/firearms/guns/b/index.shtml
Looking at the picture I posted above, it seems like this little stud is present. I tried to press it down, but it didn't move.

Last night, after everyone had gone to sleep, I went to my basement and played around with the gun using snap caps.

I cycled a good 20 snap caps manually and I could not replicate the slide stop popping off.

Even when I short stroked the slide and caused a snap cap to not go into battery properly, I hit the back of the slide and it closed properly.

I am now wondering if I was doing something stupid like riding the slide stop without realizing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The stud doesn't move, it's just screwed in, no springs involved. The slide stop itself has a a small protrusion on the end that rests on the stud. That protrusion is spring loaded, a tiny round pinhead sized bit of steel that can depress in and out slightly from the slide stop.

Its almost visible in this pic, maybe if you zoom up. There's a pin on the outer face of the slide stop that I guess holds the spring loaded pinhead mechanism together. The pinhead is pressing against the stud.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stud doesn't move, it's just screwed in, no springs involved. The slide stop itself has a a small protrusion on the end that rests on the stud. That protrusion is spring loaded, a tiny round pinhead sized bit of steel that can depress in and out slightly from the slide stop.

Its almost visible in this pic, maybe if you zoom up. There's a pin on the outer face of the slide stop that I guess holds the spring loaded pinhead mechanism together. The pinhead is pressing against the stud.
Yes, I see it now. And yes, it is missing. It was missing when I got it in from Sarco.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The diagram does not show the stud...if it is missing there will be a hole directly to the rear of the slide stop. The photo shows a round stud the slide stop makes contact with. The grip is cut out for it. If missing I have one in my junk.
Yep, thanks to you guys' help, I found it and yes, it is missing. I unfortunately have a hole in the right side of my slide stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your gun seems to be missing the plunger/spring in the slide stop.
When you put the stop into the gun, does it "pop" into place and stay there with resistance, or can you just pull it out?
It just comes out and doesn't "pop" into place.

Question - is it an absolutely critical part? And if so, I could use some guidance in where to source this little item, or should I contact SARCO and see if they can send me one?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
After I return from checking hog traps this morning I will check to see if I have a spring, pin and detent for your slide stop. I know I previously gave away my last large frame slide stop ( the smaller frames would be too small) but may have the parts needed, if not look for a complete slide stop to get the correct parts...worst scenario is you make your own.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Ok I braved the snow banks in my jammies and barefoot to check the shop for my Star parts, found box was in gun room in house, back through snow drifts ( in East Texas?) and found the box. No parts for large frame left.....checked S frame slide stop and appears to be same diameter and length as B stop. Send me shipping info and I will mail you a stop out of an S (380) that you can dissect for parts.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Ok I braved the snow banks in my jammies and barefoot to check the shop for my Star parts, found box was in gun room in house, back through snow drifts ( in East Texas?) and found the box. No parts for large frame left.....checked S frame slide stop and appears to be same diameter and length as B stop. Send me shipping info and I will mail you a stop out of an S (380) that you can dissect for parts.

Oops! Sorry! Hit the button twice...must be cold fingers from the snow banks 🏦:).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ibmikey, I appreciate you braving the snow drifts in your jammies. I used to live in Houston and know how ferocious those Texas snowstorms can be. :)

I'll DM you the shipping information. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Dark, I mailed the part yesterday, the line at the PO was worse than the ten feet of snow I had to shovel through to get there. Hope you can rebuild your stop to correct working condition. Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dark, I mailed the part yesterday, the line at the PO was worse than the ten feet of snow I had to shovel through to get there. Hope you can rebuild your stop to correct working condition. Mike
You are a gentleman. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Anybody want to buy a used snow shovel? Slightly used on E Texas snow drifts o_O
PS: 72 degrees today.⛄☃⛄☃🌞🌝🌝.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts