Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has all the cosmo been cleaned out from the gas tube, including the gas piston and piston extension and the gas cylinder? Are you using "normal" ammo and not training ammo with lighter bullet? You stated the semi-auto is engaged, so the gas selector switch is all the way down and not 1/2 way down?

Ensure the SKS is fully cleaned out as a small amount of cosmo in a random place can cause problems. A good place to start if you need to clean it out is surplusrifle.com.

http://surplusrifle.com/sks/cleaning/hs.asp

Craig

·
Registered
569 Posts
there was also a minor issue with the seals on the gas system when these rifles first came to the USA

IIRC it was something to do with the Grenade launcher ?? and was easily fixed with a DIY seal made from paper clips (I kid you not!)

can someone else with a better memory help?

regards

Richard

·
Registered
262 Posts
G

·
I havent used my yugo's for launching tennisballs . Sounds fun .I have used my Polish KBK for launching practice grenades .I think its an israeli grenade .i stoped because it eventualy cracked the practice grenade . Tennis ball is a much more cost eficient way .I will have to try it sometime.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Also, make sure that the gas port in the barrel/gas block is free from carbon build-up. There is a scraper tool made for that. Make sure there is no accumulation of cosmoline in the recoil spring or on the short operating rod under the rear sight. A thorough cleaning usually clears up most problems. Most of the Yugo carbines were set up for long-term storage, not immediate use. Detail strip and clean. Make sure the firing pin is "loose' and free to travel without incumberance. DDR

·
Copper Bullet member
982 Posts
Also, make sure that the gas port in the barrel/gas block is free from carbon build-up. There is a scraper tool made for that. Make sure there is no accumulation of cosmoline in the recoil spring or on the short operating rod under the rear sight. A thorough cleaning usually clears up most problems. Most of the Yugo carbines were set up for long-term storage, not immediate use. Detail strip and clean. Make sure the firing pin is "loose' and free to travel without incumberance. DDR
+1

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,454 Posts
My only question is what does "semi-auto was engaged'" mean. There is no selector on SKS type rifles, only a safety behind the trigger.....

I get it now. I did not even think about the grenade launcher gas cut off. It was a forest for the tree thing for me !!

·
Copper Bullet member
928 Posts
the grenade launcher's gas block, if you turn it on the SKS would only fire as a bolt action rifle, that was done so blanks used to launch grenade can be utalized in full force
it was my understanding that the blanks used for grenade launching were of a higher load, and having the semi auto gas system on during grenade fire would damage the rifle. I remember someone on here ordering and receieving a gunsmith special in which the reciever cover had been bashed out from the inside with a large circular dent. this dent was from the recoil spring being violently slammed into the reciever cover. this rifle was in the bosnian conflict and had carvings to prove it. it was said an inexpericenced solder forgot to change the gas settings.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
if you launch tennis balls you just use standard blanks-not the RG blanks.never saw a Yugo damged by firing single instead of semi.not to say it couldn't ever happen.anyone here actually see this type of damage or verify that it happened due to blank usage?

·
Registered
570 Posts
When mine had the gas leakage issue, I simply coated the gas valve body with Blue Permatex Gasket Maker - it remains soft when cured, and allows the gas valve to turn. Been working great for five years now.
A greater amount of leakage may need the wire "o-ring" seal in the front of the gas tube. Try various sizes of copper wire for tuning the fit.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
it was my understanding that the blanks used for grenade launching were of a higher load, and having the semi auto gas system on during grenade fire would damage the rifle. I remember someone on here ordering and receieving a gunsmith special in which the reciever cover had been bashed out from the inside with a large circular dent. this dent was from the recoil spring being violently slammed into the reciever cover. this rifle was in the bosnian conflict and had carvings to prove it. it was said an inexpericenced solder forgot to change the gas settings.
I think the main thing it does is to help prevent a bullet going down the tube with a grenade in place.Talk about a mess.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.