Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of pondering a Saiga in 7.62 x 39, but am unclear on a few things. I have a Russian and a Yugoslav M59 SKS, and am quite happy with both. Assuming a person stacked them up against a 'hunting style' Saiga, what's the real difference in shooting performance? Any? I know the Saigas aren't milsurp, I'm just wondering about how they shoot. Are there any substantive advantages to a Saiga in that configuration?
Thanks,
Pat

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,966 Posts
The Saiga is just an AKM in a 'sporting' configuration, and is completely different than the SKS, mechanically speaking.

For punching paper at the local range, I like the SKS a little better, although the groups are very similar in size to my AKM rifles. I like the feel of the milled receiver and the quicker action as compared to the AKMs. My biggest complaint with the SKS rifles are the stock triggers.

I can't really think of any advantage of the Saiga over an SKS. ??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. If you are intending to buy a Saiga, I would save my money and buy someyhing better. You said that you have a Russian and a Yugo M59. Cool! Have you thought about perhaps a Romanian and an Albanian? They seem to be thinning out. They are like a small investment these days. That's just my personal view brother.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, good replies.

I used to have an all matching Romanian I bought for $150 years ago, and then sold it because it had firing issues. I liked the overall quality otherwise. My Russian is a really nice refurb '54 Izhevsk. I'm getting the impression that the Saigas are kind of neat, but not really worth shelving my SKSs for.

Hey Jarhead, where in Co-Co county do you live? I'm in the Sierra foothills.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, guys!
Best,
Pat

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
I chose a saiga since they are completely new, not used surplus (not that I have any problem with that). I also converted both of mine and wouldnt recommend leaving it in stock form. sks's are good but weigh to much in my opinion. If you dont wish to do a conversion, you would probably enjoy another sks more. the factory trigger in a saiga is just crap. the accuracy can be very nice though. My 2009 7.62x39 gets about 2.5" @ 100y.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.