Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months now I have been shooting both my AK and my SKS in a kind of personal comparison of which one I liked to shoot better and which one was overall more accurate.
The playing field was pretty level as far as condition.My Chinese SKS was still in cosmo when I got it a couple of moths ago.The AK was one I bought new two years ago and haven't shot much.
It finally got down to the point where I told myself that the loser of this is goning to get sold.I considered everything as far as physical features,ergonomics,relative safety and accuracy.The winner and still champion is my SKS.It just shoots better,is more accurate and feels better.

Stan

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
^I'll give you $55 :D:D:D

·
Registered
541 Posts
^$56.50 for that horribly inaccurate AK-clone, and you can thank me for doing you the favor. XD

I haven't done a side-by-side with my two, but after being told about the accuracy by a friend using my SKS to teach his daughters how to shoot, I've never doubted how good it was.

Can anyone recomend which AK (7.62) of those currently available provides the better accuracy? Either manufactured or assembled from parts kits.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,548 Posts
Depends on the AK type you used for comparison. If it is a Romanian WASR then I would say it was not a fair comparison. A WASR is OK but is a commercially produced rifle and not up to even military spec. Try a Chinese AK47 variant for comparison to your Chinese SKS. Just my .02 cents. But if you need to sell a rifle then your comparison has relevance for YOUR purpose.

·
Registered
222 Posts
they're pretty much the same system, just the AK's is modified to be fully auto and to be handled in a lighter Aussault rifle, the SKS is more or less a Semi AK, when it comes down to it, meh both unbelieveabally, inexspesive, fairly accurate (2nd to the AR's), and very, very simple

·
Registered
287 Posts
they're pretty much the same system, just the AK's is modified to be fully auto and to be handled in a lighter Aussault rifle, the SKS is more or less a Semi AK, when it comes down to it, meh both unbelieveabally, inexspesive, fairly accurate (2nd to the AR's), and very, very simple
The same system... have you ever taken one of each apart? o_O

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
While they do look alike in certain respects, they are different systems. The AK was originally designed as a fully automatic or select fire "assault" weapon firing an intermediate caliber cartridge.
The AK is gas operated working off of a large piston attached directly to the bolt carrier--when the weapon is fired, the escaping gas forces back the piston and bolt carrier, ejecting the spent round.

The SKS was designed as an intermediate range semi-automatic carbine, never intended to be an automatic weapon. The SKS is gas operated as well but uses two pistons, one large piston that is driven back directly by the escaping gas; the large piston strikes the small piston, (located underneath the rear sight assembly) driving it back where it strikes the bolt carrier, forcing it back and ejecting the spent cartridge.

The SKS is an much older design as well-being modeled off of Simonov's anti-tank rifle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I only have a few rds through my AK vs hundreds through the SKS, so I'm probably a bit biased yet. I like the operation of the SKS better but the firing grip of the AK better, so put a pistol grip on the SKS, lose that heavy bayo, and add a 20rd mag (fixed is fine) and I think I'd choose the SKS. Of course by that point you practically have an AK. ;)

Maybe the AK will grow on me though... and I sure do feel evil when I shoulder that Romy G with it's forward pistol grip! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also enjoy shooting the sks a little more than the AK, I have a paratrooper with a 30rd steel mag and no bayo so it is pretty comprable to an AK. both are great guns to have fun with at the range, but as far as accuracy I give the edge to the SKS.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The SKS might be more accurate, but when the SHTF, the AK will serve you better because of size + high capacity mags/drums.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I appreciate this thread very much! I am currently trying to decide which to buy, a primo Russian SKS or a Yugo AK underfolder for about the same money. I have a C&R so the SKS is somewhat more desirable in regards to ability to resale and it has a milled receiver that is factory original, not a parts gun like an AK. But, the Yugo AK is more modern, accepts clips and looks like a sex pill.

Please keep up this thread!!! The more the easier for me to decide! HELP!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
I met a Vietnamese guy a long time ago who claimed to be a convert from uncle Ho's Viet Cong. I asked him which they preffered AK or SKS, his answer, the SKS. The big reason was that you couldn't loose the mag. Apperently the Cong in the delta were having trouble with getting spare mags for thier AK's. Personnaly, I would go with which ever I shoot better. If I were picking a SHTF rifle I would go with an AK mounting either Cobra red dot or a 4X commie scope. The edge is the AK's rotating bolt, it tollerates crap better than the tilting bolt of the SKS.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,043 Posts
I appreciate this thread very much! I am currently trying to decide which to buy, a primo Russian SKS or a Yugo AK underfolder for about the same money. I have a C&R so the SKS is somewhat more desirable in regards to ability to resale and it has a milled receiver that is factory original, not a parts gun like an AK. But, the Yugo AK is more modern, accepts clips and looks like a sex pill.

Please keep up this thread!!! The more the easier for me to decide! HELP!!!!

Dave
I'd get the Yugo AK first.
(while you still can)
I really like mine.
...but I also really like my 2 Russian SKSs.
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts