Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a replacement tapco tactical stock on my Chinese sks and when i originally put the top forehand on I had a little trouble pushing down the rotating pin to hold it down. I took it shooting this weekend and after roughly 30 rounds thru it the pin popped up and I can't get it back down. I've looked at it and the top cover isn't all the way down which is blocking the pin from rotating and holding the cover down. Is there any way I could fix this without sending it to a gunsmith? I have stopped firing the gun because I don't want to risk breaking the gun. Anything will help, thanks.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Either put it back in the original stock (which I highly recommend) or grind down the Tapco to make it fit.

A Dremel or an abrasive bit in a drill should grind down the soft Tapco plastic as much as you want -be sure to remove the action first, of course.

I put one of my Chinese "ghost" SKSs in a phenolic Chinese "jungle stock" but am no fan of the plastic "tacticool" stuff.

I think they shoot better and are much more combat ready in original format stocks, so I am a bit prejudiced. They did just fine for the VC as issued..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What confuses me is the new stock fit on there before, I've noticed that the hand guard isn't wanting to go all the way down. It doesn't look to me that the new stock is stopping anything from moving, it just looks like it's not all the way down. The reason I put the new stock on the gun is because the Chinese stock is almost like a youth stock to me, and it's just uncomfortable to fire. I can post pics if needed for a better visual.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The retainer through-bolt on SKSs has a little notch that has to be turned just right to let the handguard and tube assembly slide down properly.

I always have trouble until it is angled just right to let the rear lock down.

That may be your problem. Look at the bolt and face the notch properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have wiggled the bolt back and forth while pushing on the hand guard, and still no success. The rod that the retainer bolt is holding in place is forward a little bit, but it doesn't appear to be blocking the hand guard from going all the way down.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Take the action out of the stock, put the hand guard/tube assembly back where it belongs and see if it fits, then re-assemble, being sure the trigger assembly clicks tight in place.
Putting the tube on the action out of the lower stock will tell you if the stock is the problem.

I still think the hand guard assembly may not be seating properly with the notch in the retaining cross bolt. You have to look at it from the top before putting on the handguard assembly, aligning the notch.

One question - did you swap a plastic Tapco hand guard for the original wooden one on the gas tube? That might be a bad fit as the plastic might be thicker, touching the stock or some such problem.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Can you see the notch in the tube retention bolt that has to lock down the hand guard/tube when turned?
Getting it in the right position to let you push down the hand guard is a common difficulty in re-assembling SKSs.
It has to be turned to the front of the muzzle and slightly angled to let the hand guard slide fully down, then you turn the pin to lock it.
If that is right and the cover slides into the pin properly but still won't go all the way down, maybe the plastic stock is just too high.
That is why I suggested taking the action out to try it.

I have not switched the hand guards because the tapco came with only one replacement pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.