Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
I thought these were known as SKS Ds. Does it have the spring-loaded, quick detach bayonet ?
Air gun Trigger Wood Wood stain Gun barrel

Here's what I always thought were the "M"s. Also available with the "monte carlo" stock. I am quite fond of these. I used to love embarassing AR shooters in competitions with what was mocked as my "Planet of the Apes gun."
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Sgt. ----- I sure like your SKS's. How does the one with the extended mag. work ? Is the extended mag easy to reload while in the mag. well?
I have two Chinese and two Russian SKS rifles, all very good shooters. I've thought about installing an extended mag in one of the Chinese pieces.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sgt. ----- I sure like your SKS's. How does the one with the extended mag. work ? Is the extended mag easy to reload while in the mag. well?
I have two Chinese and two Russian SKS rifles, all very good shooters. I've thought about installing an extended mag in one of the Chinese pieces.
Big Coulee....It's not an extended mag....it is a standard AK mag. The "D" and "M" SKS variants were delivered that way.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,544 Posts
SKS Sporter takes AK mags and has the thumbhole stock
SKS M takes AK mags and has the "Monte Carlo" stock
SKS 30/SKS D takes AK mags and looks like a military Type 56, with full length barrel and folding bayonet in a regular stock (except for magwell). The SKS30's from 1988 had the detachable bayonet. At some point in time (by 1995) this version had a riveted bayonet just like the military Type 56.

SKS 30 from 1988 w/ detachable bayonet
Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Material property Bicycle part Gadget Font Tints and shades

Auto part Electric blue Carbon Automotive tire Fashion accessory

Later version.
Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain Office supplies

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Big Coulee, the SKS-M uses AK mags. The mag pictured is a Hungarian 20 round AK mag.
View attachment 3923879
Big Coulee, the SKS-M uses AK mags. The mag pictured is a Hungarian 20 round AK mag. View attachment 3923879
Sgt. I'd like to modify one of my Chinese SKS rifles to take the AK mag. as you have pictured. How much would it take to modify the Chinese stock to do that and / or would there be a stock on the market that I could pick up and use a AK mag. in it. I have 20 AK mags just itching for such use, and yes I have an AK to go with the mags.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,299 Posts
Sgt. I'd like to modify one of my Chinese SKS rifles to take the AK mag. as you have pictured. How much would it take to modify the Chinese stock to do that and / or would there be a stock on the market that I could pick up and use a AK mag. in it. I have 20 AK mags just itching for such use, and yes I have an AK to go with the mags.
It’s not just a stock modification to allow AK mags. You need to modify the receiver, trigger group, etc. It’d be far cheaper, and better functionally, to purchase one of the commercial Chinese SKSs, like those shown here, built at the factory with AK magazine compatibility.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
jjj ----- I don't need another SKS I just like to pick up a SKS stock for my Chnese SKS that could take the AK mags. Are just the stocks available ??
View attachment 3923995
View attachment 3923996

View attachment 3923997
View attachment 3923998

I wouldn't modify a good SKS. Just buy one of the factory guns. They aren't that expensive.
Phos ----- I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the 4 SKS rifles I currently have with their 10 round mags. Thanks for the info. on the extended mags. However I still like the looks of them and maybe one day I'll pick up a SKS that will take the AK mag.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Phos ----- I guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the 4 SKS rifles I currently have with their 10 round mags. Thanks for the info. on the extended mags. However I still like the looks of them and maybe one day I'll pick up a SKS that will take the AK mag.
Hey Big Coulee there are after market "fixed" hi-cap mags that were made for the SKS. Check that out for a more economical approach?

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,299 Posts
The only group photo of SKSs that I have is of my matching early Jianshe Chinese Type 56s that are all from the first batch of Albanian imports, ca. 2012-14.

Bottom to top (right to left in the receiver cover photo): 1956 no arsenal marking (ghost), 1957 six digit, 1957 two million, 1958 three million, 1959-60 F block letter gun.

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

Ammunition Bullet Gas Gun accessory Auto part

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.