Gunboards Forums banner

SKS sold for $4,300?

4K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Richard in NY* 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I doubt that Matt would be upset if you drove up the price! :laugh:

#15 ·
Please report all earnings and income to the IRS. lol

What do we get for spending $4,300 for a sks? Bragging rights and no lunch money. But it's going to be a longtime eating in the dollar menu for sure.

I passed on two blood pitted nam war bring backs for $350/$400 at the big E gun show 25 years ago. I was dumb.

#19 ·
Turn back the clock of time?

The Chinese sks when it first arrived here was $1,000 and it didn't sell probably because of this new caliber of ammo wasn't available. The price dropped to $59. Then the Yugoslav sks was available at $2,000 some purchased them here for bragging rights. The ufixem m59 trickled in next to see if there was a market hitch for them. At $79 they sold with broken safety levers thus ufixem. Do you think we will see the NK sks trickle in under the radar under another country? I wouldn't doubt it. But you young pups wouldn't remember this.

#20 ·
Turn back the clock of time?

The Chinese sks when it first arrived here was $1,000 and it didn't sell probably because of this new caliber of ammo wasn't available. The price dropped to $59. Then the Yugoslav sks was available at $2,000 some purchased them here for bragging rights. The ufixem m59 trickled in next to see if there was a market hitch for them. At $79 they sold with broken safety levers thus ufixem. Do you think we will see the NK sks trickle in under the radar under another country? I wouldn't doubt it. But you young pups wouldn't remember this.
Sadly I can no longer consider myself a young pup so I remember the good old days quite well and I never saw the initial Chinese SKS imports sell for anywhere near the $1000 price you mention. To the best of my knowledge, and the memory that I just bragged about, the very first Chicom AK and SKS imports were brought in by Clayco in 1984. Here's a copy of one of the sales advertisements curtesy of forum member Buddy Hinton:

I do agree with you that those new to the game have no idea how coveted the Yugo M59/66 rifles were back in the '80s. Prices ranged from $1500 to $2000 and I came very, very close to buying one from my friend the late Bruce Stern. It's perhaps the only big ticket purchase that I'm glad I did not make. I never saw any of the M59 variants back then and I don't believe that any trickled in from our friends up North.

#21 ·
OK OK I'm here...... It was I who was fortunate enough to win Martins NK. I don't post very much on any of the Forums, mostly just read, watch, and learn. Martin was of course a pleasure to work with and very professional, as I'm sure you all know anyhow. Yes I am currently on a strict diet of Ramen and PB&J! at least until I sell a few things to make up for it........ Badash that was you who just lost out on it? I did feel slightly bad (for a quick sec.) for taking it for only .06 more than your bid..... I found an old ad from GreenDevil41 selling a NK sling that he brought back from Panama........ he still had it and was willing to sell it to me. He was also a pleasure to deal with....... I'll post a Pic of the rifle as soon as the sling gets here!

#24 ·
I knew it was North Korean before I even clicked on the link (had no idea East German SKS's could get up there as well). Good investment on the buyer,

I suspect that Martin08 looked at Hundreds if not a thousand different SKS's over the years, hunting for the North Korean specimens out there that are mislabeled as plane Jane SKS's

#28 ·
I guess I have to put in my two cents worth; over the years I have seen prices go all over the place on SKSs. I bought a Vietnam bring back Chinese "Ghost" in 1983 for $225, tried selling it at guns shows in Virginia but couldn't move it. It was pretty ratty looking so I decided to get it reblued (OK guys, stop cringing, I know it was not a smart move), and then it looked so good I decided I didn't want to sell it, ended up giving it to my son (who now may be thinking of selling it himself). Then in 1987 I bought a straight out of the crate Chinese Public Security SKS from Potomac Arms/Ye Olde Hunter in Alexandria, VA for $200, got tired of it and sold it at a loss (I am not the best businessman in the world). Picked up a mint Russian with laminate stock in 1994 for $211, kept it for ten years and sold it (this time I made a hundred bucks). At this point I am thinking that I should take time out to kick myself for having sold them (or given away) when I did. Some of us live and learn, some of us just live.... Ralph

#29 ·
I bought Chinese AK's for $225, folder or fixed, with 4 mags and a bayonet, about 1980/81 in LA. I remember after the wall came down, Russian SKS's selling for $59 at gun shows. A friend had a NK SKS with numbered grenade launcher along with a bunch of other SKS's. He sold them all to a guy in Texas, B

#34 ·
Unable to open the attachment for the NK sling. Not sure if it's the attachment or my system (could be me). Interested in seeing it though. More interested in seeing one attached to a NK SKS at my place, but that's for another time as I haven't aquired a NK SKS yet. I'm in the market for one though (for any of you guys that are looking to part with one ;)

#36 ·
Beautiful rifle! Regards to the sling color and source, I've seen the VN era tan or mustard colored ones but I pulled that same sling out of a crate of North Korean Type 68's in Panama in 1989 along with NK ammo pouches, oil bottles, bayonets and other stuff. It is a 100% legit NK sling. It may be the lighting in that particular pic but the color on them is actually a gray green.
Outerwear Personal protective equipment Jacket Sleeve
Bag Fashion accessory Luggage and bags Baggage

#37 ·
I remember seeing the boxed Russian sks for $99, the Russian ak47 $125 and the Russian m44 mosin nib $114. The LGS had stacks of them. With accessories.

Soon after things go greedy they had boxes filled wit the accessories selling them seperate. They did the same thing to the newly offered Russian saigas too. My first saigas came with the cleaning stuff and an extra mag. Soon after you had to purchase the extra mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.