Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
13,134 Posts
I wanted to bid on that gun so bad. But then I saw Martin08's name on it and knew that I'd likely lose that bidding war. Decided not to drive the price up on ya. Congrats man. Awesome score! Envious.
I doubt that Matt would be upset if you drove up the price! :laugh:

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah right! Just curious though, what's your top dollar for one of these? Or for an East German?
I've sold three North Koreans on Gunbroker over the years. From low to high, they went for $3,300, $4,300 and $4700.

I've never sold an East German, but one sold at Amoskeag last fall at around $4,400 after buyer fees.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Please report all earnings and income to the IRS. lol

What do we get for spending $4,300 for a sks? Bragging rights and no lunch money. But it's going to be a longtime eating in the dollar menu for sure.

I passed on two blood pitted nam war bring backs for $350/$400 at the big E gun show 25 years ago. I was dumb.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Turn back the clock of time?

The Chinese sks when it first arrived here was $1,000 and it didn't sell probably because of this new caliber of ammo wasn't available. The price dropped to $59. Then the Yugoslav sks was available at $2,000 some purchased them here for bragging rights. The ufixem m59 trickled in next to see if there was a market hitch for them. At $79 they sold with broken safety levers thus ufixem. Do you think we will see the NK sks trickle in under the radar under another country? I wouldn't doubt it. But you young pups wouldn't remember this.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,134 Posts
Turn back the clock of time?

The Chinese sks when it first arrived here was $1,000 and it didn't sell probably because of this new caliber of ammo wasn't available. The price dropped to $59. Then the Yugoslav sks was available at $2,000 some purchased them here for bragging rights. The ufixem m59 trickled in next to see if there was a market hitch for them. At $79 they sold with broken safety levers thus ufixem. Do you think we will see the NK sks trickle in under the radar under another country? I wouldn't doubt it. But you young pups wouldn't remember this.
Sadly I can no longer consider myself a young pup so I remember the good old days quite well and I never saw the initial Chinese SKS imports sell for anywhere near the $1000 price you mention. To the best of my knowledge, and the memory that I just bragged about, the very first Chicom AK and SKS imports were brought in by Clayco in 1984. Here's a copy of one of the sales advertisements curtesy of forum member Buddy Hinton:

I do agree with you that those new to the game have no idea how coveted the Yugo M59/66 rifles were back in the '80s. Prices ranged from $1500 to $2000 and I came very, very close to buying one from my friend the late Bruce Stern. It's perhaps the only big ticket purchase that I'm glad I did not make. I never saw any of the M59 variants back then and I don't believe that any trickled in from our friends up North.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.