Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
22,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to buy a Yugo, Russian, or Norinco gas tube, what is the best place? My google search Fu is not working tonight?

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,105 Posts
If I wanted to buy a Yugo, Russian, or Norinco gas tube, what is the best place? My google search Fu is not working tonight?
They are not too common. Because of the swapping of polymer furniture and some folks not being capable of removing the old furniture., they purchase a new gas tube., or some folks trashing the rear ferrule upon attempted removal. The gas tubes have gotten kind of uncommon. Maybe a gun show etc.
Apex has some made by TAPCO but not cheap.
You might post a WTB in the marketplace area.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/40

·
Silver Bullet Member
276 Posts
Gas tubes are like hen's teeth. For all the reasons AKBLUE. The rear ferrules, often massacred by unskilled removal attempts, are even more difficult to obtain. Patience, unfortunately, is the only good recourse.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
A note for those wishing to put new wood or plastic or phenolic "jungle stocks" on an SKS: Pay the $20 to have a gunsmith press out the pins on your hand guard/gas tube or be prepared to go searching for a new gas tube. $20 labor beats $80 plus shipping every time.

·
Silver Bullet Member an all around excellent guy
53,624 Posts
Wow....who'd have thought that we should have been saving those cheap "dog" SKS's from the mid 90's just for their parts.

You remember the ones - they had stocks made from dried dog poop and weren't selling for $75.00 even when they came with 100 rounds of ammo.

·
Silver Bullet Member
8,105 Posts
A note for those wishing to put new wood or plastic or phenolic "jungle stocks" on an SKS: Pay the $20 to have a gunsmith press out the pins on your hand guard/gas tube or be prepared to go searching for a new gas tube. $20 labor beats $80 plus shipping every time.
If done properly it is not a complicated procedure. It is a peened pin or rivet that holds the rear ferrule in place. Carefully drilling the peened or mushroomed end will enable the pin to be driven out very easily. Install is reverse and a nail shank or soft steel rod a bit over length can be easily peened to secure the ferule.
It is the ham handed battering of the pin without relieving the peened material and distorting the ferrule that causes the headache.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Yes, I have done it a number of times, but I have also seen a lot of damaged ones. Usually the beginner just tries beating it out -not good! Hence my warning.

If done properly it is not a complicated procedure. It is a peened pin or rivet that holds the rear ferrule in place. Carefully drilling the peened or mushroomed end will enable the pin to be driven out very easily. Install is reverse and a nail hank or soft steel rod a bit over length can be easily peened to secure the ferule.
It is the ham handed battering of the pin without relieving the peened material and distorting the ferrule that causes the headache.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.