Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having trouble getting my baby back together after going from wood to the t6 fusion stock--anyone have links or ideas on this issue--misfires everyother round and gas tube is loose--what is the best way to get my gun working well and reliable--btw, is a yugo.

sks7.62

·
Gold Bullet member
10,479 Posts
--what is the best way to get my gun working well and reliable--btw, is a yugo.
sks7.62
Step 1. Take Tapco crap off SKS.

Step 2. Reassemble your SKS in to its original configuration.

Step 3. Throw Tapco crap into nearest pond, river, lake or ocean.

Step 4. Enjoy shooting your Yugo SKS.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
having trouble getting my baby back together after going from wood to the t6 fusion stock--anyone have links or ideas on this issue--misfires everyother round and gas tube is loose--what is the best way to get my gun working well and reliable--btw, is a yugo.

sks7.62
you sure the gas tube is locked down good, was it loose before? the T6 looks cool but can be a pain to install

·
Silver Bullet member
2,677 Posts
before we can tell you a fix; is it side to side movement or front to back movement? if it is front to back an o-ring can probably take care of ya. what type of SKS is it? a yugo 59/66 has a gas valve for the grenade launcher which must be open for the gun to function.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Did you use a new Tapco gas tube or the original that came on your Yugo? I installed a Tapco T6 on my Russian SKS. I didn't get the angle correct when I filed the Tapco tube to fit my SKS. Fit was too loose and the locking lever would unlock when I fired a round. I used the original gas tube and took off the wood and installed the Tapco outer plastic guard. No more problems. If you can't figure out what you changed by installing the new stock, I would give Tapco a call. I'm sure they will be able to help you.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts

Although the Tapco adjustable stock adds more length of pull and the 20 round magazines work well, I must confess some things shouldn't be messed with. I have the original wood furniture that came with my all matching 1954 Tula SKS. One day I will come to my senses and restore her to her original configuration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sks tapco t6 stock problems

I have taken this weapon apart and reassemble so many times I feel I back in basic training. I was able to get the gas tube lever to re-seat which I thought was the end of my problems but it still mis-fired. I took the wood off the gas tube and replaced it with the tapco plastic. I have about an 1/8 inch space where the rear sight sits. If I get rid of the space in that area then the trigger component does not click into place.

·
Registered
377 Posts

I just have one thing to add to step 3 : shoot Tapco crap with now reassembled SKS.

·
Registered
396 Posts
sks--

it sounds as if you have identified some strong opinions from this thread. I consider the sks to be a real workhorse. I do consider these to be collectable, but certainly not as much so as some other guns--I usually hang out in the swedish mauser section.

If you have a yugo sks, you have what I consider to be a potential bambie getter, a two legged critter getter in case all H... breaks loose and anarchy, katarina, martial law, rule the land.

The sks is more accurate than the ak and I think better over all in terms of reliability than the mini14/30 genre. At least that has been my experinece--I have 5 skss, have had several aks, and several minis.

So, you will have to descide when confronted with information and opinions as above what you want to do in terms of keeping the gun with a stock stock or going tapco. The point that the tapco set up gives you a good scope mount for a scout set up and a collapsable stock for ergonomics when you are lying down, etc, isn't mentioned.

You will have to envision what you will do with the gun and that will allow you to know which way you want to go. I would be hard pressed to suggest you should wax too eloquent when it comes to the collecability and keeping the gun original when it is a 150$ sks you are looking at.

I myself am not an expert on the aftermarket stock topic, but will work to get some of my renessance men of gun collecting to address your issue with regards to the stock. From my point of view, you are trying to get the sks fitted with the tapco t6--apparently you have descied already on the issue of what stock you want. I hope you will get some more good feedback on the question you asked.

Over and out, Mauserdoc

PSWELCOME TO THE FORUMS HERE ON GUNBOARDS--THE BEST GUN PLACE IN THE WORLD. SPEAKING OF COLLECTING, I AM USUALLY ON DUTCHMAN'S SWEDISH SITE, SO FEEL FREE TO DROP BY AND VISIT OVER THERE!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
You did not say if you purchased the 20 round Tapco mag with your T6 stock kit but if you did I would make very sure the rounds are feeding properly.

You did not say you replaced the gas tube so I assume it is the original, that being said, if it functioned properly before then it should shoot properly now with the same gas tube and gas system.

It is most likely a feeding problem where the second round is not being picked up properly. My guess without holding the rifle is that the magazine is mot setting at the proper height or is not properly engaged in the receiver. The first round fires and starts a process. If the recoil of the weapon causes the mag to move, change angle, then the next round may not feed properly and cause the action to not reach battery and not fire the second round.

I would reinstall the original 10 rd magazine and see if the problem goes away. IMHO most plastic magazines, non-military replacement AK mags included, are CRAP. In my experience, they rarely lock up or feed correctly straight out of the bag. They can be made to work but once you file on them to try and make them fit your rifle then your stuck with them and can't return them if they still don't function properly.

The SKS was designed with a fixed magazine and for the most part works best in that configuration. The CHICOM Star Stamped 20 rounders work well but they are fixed and made of steel.

When the Chineese made a detachable magazine SKS I believe they changed the magazine engagement design and made it like a AK. They also used steel and not plastic.

Smokepole50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you for your feed back and I had the guy at the range tell me it was a feeding issue. He said he belived the receiver was not creating enough recoil on the the second round. When I was at the range, after I chambered the first round in the ten round mag that came with the gun, it would fire, the next round mis-fired, chamber another round and it would fire, then it fired again, then it mis-fired, out of ten rounds, five fired.

I really like this weapon and would like to keep this stock on it, but can't seem to figure out what minor ajustment is needed to get it to function correctly. The only other thing I notice, is the Taco t6 stock does not sit flush near the rear sight, if you try to make it flush, then you can't get the trigger component to click in correctly.

Do you have any other ideals or what a fair price to have a gunsmith make these minor adjustments.

Thanks..........SKS 7.62

·
Registered
840 Posts
Do you have a bolt buffer in it? My sons milled Norinco had a bolt buffer that we installed, and it had some feed issues. Took the buffer out, problem was solved. If you don't have a buffer, re-install the original magazine and try it that way. Did you shoot it with the original stock and mag? If it didn't have feed problems with the original mag, there's the answer. Also, I've read that it's sometimes necessary to use a Dremel to force fit the aftermarket stocks. Not all SKS's are alike.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
you may have a gas leak around the gas tube. some yugos have this issue.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Don't think the problem is the stock

Like any new stock sometimes you have to fit it to the action. If you are using all the original action parts and have not altered any of the metal then all the action/metal parts should fit the same as in the wood stock. Puting a plastic stock on it doesn't usually affect the action unless you have really torqued it and put stress on the barrel or something. You don't usually get that kind of a problem with Tapco T-6 stocks or SKS's in general. Having said that I do know of one issue with the tapco stock. Sometimes the original mag doesn't fit well when used with the T-6 stock and will cause feed issues because it doesn't seat all the way into place. The front of the mag hits the front of the mag well and causes it to bind against the receiver at the back. You can also get this when using, say, a Yugo mag in a Chinese SKS or vice versa. I have built several SKS's out of both Chinese and Yugo parts mixed together in the same rifle and on 2 occasions, with the tapco stock, trying 3 different fixed mags none would fit right but both a good metal 20rnder and the tapco 20rnder fit fine and worked without fail. I've also had a cheap metal mag do the same thing. The Tapco stock is one of the best aftermarket stocks out there for the SKS if that is the way you want to go and the tapco 20rnd mags are the best on the market by far. Back to your problem, have you checked your gas valve to make sure it is in the right position? If it is out of position it will cause what you are describing. On the tube, assuming you are still using your original one, if it was tight and and now is loose I would put it on installer error. If you didn't file any metal off then it should fit back into place the same(also assuming you didn't file away too much of the tapco HG and made it sloppy) There is a difference between the HG being loose and the tube itself being loose. Like the other guy said check to make sure it is seated all the way and your lock lever is all the way down into proper position. can't think of anything else right now without more info. BTW, welcome to the boards;)
Oh +1 on what mauserdoc said too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
After speaking with Mauserdoc on the phone yesterday I believe your problem may be your new handguard clearance or possibly some rotational twist you imparted into the rear handguard retaining ring on the gas tube while installing the new plastic handguard. That rear retaining U shaped piece of metal needs to be in the proper orientation to allow the gas tube and hanguard to set down all the way against the butt stock.

If your gas tube does not fit tight then you may have a alignment issue with the gas piston dragging inside the gas tube. If the lever on the right side of the sight tower is not pointing down at a 45 degree angle towards the mag well then your gas tube is not seated properly. This could cause the gas piston to drag during the cycle and not return home with enough force to go into battery.

Try pulling the gas tube off the rifle and placing it on a flat surface to make sure the two U shape retaining pieces are in the same plane rotational wise. If they are then check for a burr in the square looking section at the rear of the gas tube that engages the sight tower. That small area at the top that has a bevel has to fit under the rotating bar with the lever attached.

Put some grease on the 45 degree bevel at the rear of the gas tube, push the gas tube into place with the flat part of the locking pin facing the muzzle and rotate the locking pin on the sight tower down. If it does not go down to a 45 degree angle ( pointing toward the mag well) with the flat area of the pin now facing up and round area of the pin holding down against the 45 degree angled area on the back of the gas tube then there is your problem. That pin flat area has to go past the bevel on the gas tube or the tube will be setting high and cause the gas piston to drag inside the tube.

On a tight rifle it is not unusual to have to give the gas tube a light tap with your hand to get the tube seated all the way down while rotating the pin down to the home position.

Also, check to make sure you don't have any clearance issue with the new handguard being to tall and keeping you from seating the gas tube all the way down.

RANGE TEST.....Fire your first round and before you pull the trigger on the second round that was picked up by the action ejecting the case and picking up a round from the magazine, put the safety on and take your hand and tap the bolt handle home (forward), take it off safe and see if it fires. If it does fire then your problem is something dragging causing the second round to not be picked up with enough forward force to allow the action to go into battery. If it function properly before you added the T6 kit then it is not the action but most likely the gas tube alignment.

Smokepole50

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks............Very helpful info, I'll make the adjustments and confirm the results at the range on Saturday.

A weapon that can not be trusted, is suicide for the one who depends on it. Hopefully my SKS will prove to be trust worthy with these adjustments.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts