Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm trying to decide what to do with an SKS. I recently picked up a Bubba-fied Romanian SKS. The stock has been replaced (with a correct style wood version), the front sight assembly has been removed, and the rear cover has been replaced with a scope- mount rear cover. The cover/ receiver joint has been drilled and tapped on all four corners to install set screws to hold the cover more solidly. The finish on the metal is just about gone, I was told the previous owner scrubbed the cosmoline out with brake cleaner and the finish came off like spray paint. On the plus side, it still has the original magazine, the bore is nice, and it shoots well- albeit difficult to aim with no front sight.

I already have a Chinese SKS, I don't have it in front of me currently but I believe it's a Type 56. Unfortunately, it too has been Bubba'ed, but it's only had a tacti-cool plastic folding stock attached. No permanent modifications. From what I've found, it doesn't seem like the Romanian rifles are all that much more desirable than any other SKS. Is there much of a difference, for collecting purposes, between a Romanian or Chinese rifle? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about trading the Romanian, probably with some cash, for an AK variant. My reasoning is that I already have an SKS, and don't have an AK. What do y'all think?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,567 Posts
Depends. Romy SKS's are a little more on the rare side than Chinese IMO. You sure it is not a refurb russian with what is left of a painted finish? if it is a bubba's Romy, i am surprised he found it and paid more at the time than for a cheaper alternative... What type of AK variant? I highly doubt the SKS bluing came off unless it was bubba painted or was a badly done refurb. the receiver being drilled sucks.....i would say depends on the AK variant, and what you would be giving and getting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to post a few pictures of it. It's a Romanian, the import stamp says as much and it has the triangle with an arrow on the receiver. In this condition, what would y'all estimate this rifle to be worth?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.