Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Got a chance to take my new SKS-D out to the range today. All in all, I am impressed with it. I was getting some pretty decent groups, I've attached pictures of three of them. I was using the wolf military classic. I think its a 123 grain HP. The first one, it was shooting way to the right and low. I then raised up the sight a little for the second one. The last one was a 4-shot group, one flyer, but still pretty decent. Looks like I have to make one small adjustment and I'll be in the x-ring. The range was 100 yards, and I was sitting at a table and using the sling for support.
These are just some of the better groups, typical groups were about 2". There is a 3-round limit at the range (its a public range), so I couldn't test how it feeds with a full mag. I had no failures to feed when it cycled by itself. The only hang-up I would get was when I first put the magazine in and charged the weapon. The first round sometimes got a little stuck, and I had to bang the bolt forward for it to close.
I started the day off with my m91/30, so when I switched over to the sks, it was a little shock at how little the recoil felt. The cases were ejected with authority. I definitely need to buy a stock extension, probably about 2" will do. I was using a slip on recoil pad, that added about an inch.
Anyway, I'm very happy with the sks, once I get access to a digital camera, I'll post a photo.

-Pete

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone,

I unfortunately threw out the boxes when I cleaned up at the range. I just stopped by the local sporting goods store before I hit the range and picked up a few boxes. I was surprised too, because I heard some not so nice things about wolf ammo, but it was the only brand they had. I looked at some reviews online, and it seems the military classic is more consistant than the normal wolf. It seemed pretty clean as well, It didn't take much to clean everything up, maybe 3 patches or so. But then, it was only 60 rounds I fired.
I liked it, but I am still going to try out some other brands next. I plan on checking out the gold/silver/brown bear line, and also some of the 154 grain from wolf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.