Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought my first sks (Chinese Factory 16) for $225. and I was looking at some of the russian sks's and I noticed that the bolt carriers on the russian ones look better then mine, Is there anything I can do to mine to shine it up a bit? mine looks a little grey

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
Dunno about your bolt carrier, but what's going on with the magazine? Is it partially open?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive only had the chance to run about 100 rounds through it last weekend but you dont have to worry about me shooting it,
and no the mag is not partially open, It is one of the Chicom 20 round fixed mags. I scored it for $10, it just needed a new paintjobhttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160516190

heres a better pic of one

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
In that case, it's been a good day! I learned something new: the existence of 20-round Chicom mags for the SKS.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad I could teach someone something lol, most of the time I'm learning from people on here.
And I like the way the 20 round fixed mags look also, looks original to the gun and holds 20 rounds!

·
Registered
845 Posts
My experience is that you will ultimately regret any "diddling" to the finish of any military weapon. Leave it as is....the more you learn about these weapons, the more respect you will have for what is "correct". And don't lose track of that original mag !

·
Registered
758 Posts
I suppose a "Mr Clean Eraser" or some other commercial scourer could be employed with a little elbow grease to remove the relatively-rare factory "park" on your ChiCom. Thereafter expect to battle a tendency for your bolt carrier to rust.

Ya know, some Russian M-1945 Carbine carriers were deep blued after thorough factory refurb.

So, whatcha choose: in the white, or blue ??? Neither option is Chinese but it is your property; do as you will.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok i will leave the carrier as is:)
Also would be glad to answer any questions about the 20 round mag, there should be plenty of info out their as they're pretty popular

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,724 Posts
All Chinese carriers are in the white (no finish). The earlier carriers were polished and the later were simply beadblasted (grey appearance)., seemingly for exediency of production. You can polish it if you want. A little oil and it will not rust. Many firearms have polished in the whitee bolts and carriers. MN's, Mausers etc. Polish or not will not affect the value.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok if I do polish what should I use, I dont have a dremel but do have some 2000 grit sandpaper and emery paper

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
You can polish it if you want...... Polish or not will not affect the value.

I don't agree. Back in the day guys said "Polish that ol' natzee rifle up and make it pretty....ain't gonna' hurt the value none." If you want a pretty bolt carrier, buy one with a shiny bolt to begin with. I'm not trying to be a smart arse but it's ALWAYS best to NOT pretty it up; just preserve it, shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,724 Posts
The best is a cloth wheel on a bench wheel and polishing rouge.

If you want to return it to original you simply beadblast the bolt carrier back to the matte grey. Or add a light coat od cold blue to knock back the shine to a worn look. No big deal and things folks do to various rifles. Easy to reverse.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use a deburring wheel on a bench grinder. 1/2 inch wide wheels cost about $20 but last forever and will astonish you at what you can polish and how fast it can be done.

I agree, if you do not like it later just beadblast it back to it's factory job. No SKS carriers are parkerized.

Some have been painted black (Russian) and some finished in Black Oxide (Egyptian contract Chinese /26\ rifles), but no military units have been parkerized. K Sports parkerized some for a limited run, but they are pretty rare, I would not polish one of those for sure.

Regards,

Darin

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I would not mess with the original features of your SKS. You're just going to spend time and money devaluing it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Sorry, Gavin, it is my sad task to contradict your blanket statement: "No SKS carriers are parkerized." I owned a Type 56 Carbine that featured a parkerized bolt carrier and a parkerized bolt.

The weapon is a thorough-arsenal rebuilt rifle; a first year of production number IIRC; blade bayonet and all that.

It certainly was gray park'd, rather than bead blasting, coz it wore off to reveal the "in-the-white" original finish exactly at those points where it should after being ridin' hard.

'Tis a "B-West" import by the way.

Passed in on to a dear friend looking for a "Sino-Sov" for his fledgling collection.

It certainly is interesting in that aspect and that is why I suggested, in my initial post on the thread, that the park is somewhat rare - how rare I'm not prepared to say. I've owned a mere twenty Type 56s over the years and managed to gather in some real odd-balls before selling 'em all off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey guys, I just bought my first sks (Chinese Factory 16) for $225. and I was looking at some of the russian sks's and I noticed that the bolt carriers on the russian ones look better then mine, Is there anything I can do to mine to shine it up a bit? mine looks a little grey
i cant find factory 16 , perhaps you mean factory 016?

i would use a small wire wheel on a drill to polish the carrier .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts