Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I didn't want to hijack another thread with these questions:

1. Can an importer tell by the serial number when they imported a given rifle? (If so, WILL they tell you?

2. How in the world can you date a Chinese SKS otherwise?

A year or so ago a local dealer had several SKS's and I bought one with a nice finish and a really good stock for 175.00. It had the spike bayo on it when I bought it. It is riveted on, and appears to be a factory rivet, completely unmolested. Still, I sometimes wonder if it should be there at all, even though I know that a good number of these rifles came in with bayonets on them. The rifle is unmarked, no factory code, no "Norinco", just a serial # and import stamp visible above the stock line. There is a '22' stamped below the stock line, either on or very near the barrel (I can't recall), and other than those three markings there is nothing else.

Opinions??

· Registered
265 Posts
Short answer: You really cant tell.

I asked the ATF about this in writing over a year ago and they are ignoring me.

Only thing I can say is that if your SKS came with a bayo it probably is pre ban, if it came sans a bayo it may be post ban.

Only sure way to tell and sure way to prove either way is with a dated reciept of original purchase.

Somebody please feel free to correct me because I actually hope Im wrong.

· Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
56,873 Posts
Read the regs if there is a problem (legally) it's with the lug not the bayo. IMO it's other add ons that give the BATF heartburn (folding stocks, hi cap mags, etc..) VS a stock SKS and bayo. Truthfully it's all conjecture but I'd never cut a rivet off to remove the bayo...

· Registered
1,816 Posts
I remember late import Chinese SKS rifles coming in with an unattached spike bayonet included, with an unexpanded hollow end hinge rivet included with the bayonet. I believe it was to meet import requirements regarding attached bayonets prior to the complete importation ban on Chinese non sporting classed arms. The ones that I saw all still had the lugs remaining on the front sight assy.

· Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember seeing the SKS's with lugs and no bayo, but there were plenty of bayonets available in a case at the stores. My son bought an Chinese SKS that had the bayonet attached with a bolt, I talked him into removing it. The bolt wasn't staked, and made me think that it might have been added to a post ban gun. He wasn't happy about doing it, too bad. It's a nice shooter either way.

I remember late import Chinese SKS rifles coming in with an unattached spike bayonet included, with an unexpanded hollow end hinge rivet included with the bayonet. I believe it was to meet import requirements regarding attached bayonets prior to the complete importation ban on Chinese non sporting classed arms. The ones that I saw all still had the lugs remaining on the front sight assy.

· Registered
265 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the staking.

My bayo screw is defenitely staked in and removing this screw would "screw" that up. Which is why I am leaving mine intact with the staked screw in case anyone ever questions me about it.

IMHO the reality is that there are so many SKS out there with no records that the ATF will not even attempt to persue the issue. Even the obviouse non-compliant SKSs hanging on pawnshop walls will be overlooked.

They probably have much bigger fish to fry like trying to figure out how to make ALL guns illegal etc. That would make it easier on them.

· Copper Bullet member
4,066 Posts
Yeah I forgot about the staking.

My bayo screw is defenitely staked in and removing this screw would "screw" that up. Which is why I am leaving mine intact with the staked screw in case anyone ever questions me about it.

IMHO the reality is that there are so many SKS out there with no records that the ATF will not even attempt to persue the issue. Even the obviouse non-compliant SKSs hanging on pawnshop walls will be overlooked.

They probably have much bigger fish to fry like trying to figure out how to make ALL guns illegal etc. That would make it easier on them.
The problem is, if all guns were illegal, the ATF would have to change their name to the AT, because they'd have no further need to regulate the sales of firearms lol.

· Registered
66 Posts
I bought a chinese sks from a shop with the bayo on it and still full of cosmo and spent the next 2 months trying to find out the import date on it to no avail. Last year I went to a local shop that was under an audit by the ATF and right on the rack were 3 yugo 59/66's with folding stocks and high cap mags and the agent did not seem to care. She was pleasantly chatting with the owner while wrapping things up. In my opinion I think the nonsense regs are used to beef up sentencing when a crime involving a gun is prosecuted.

· Registered
561 Posts
over the years (1986 to 1996) (2006 to end of 2007)i have bought ( by the crates) and sold alot of china sks rifles. i have lived thru the crap that the dealers had to live with the ever changing laws and interpertations of it. so here goes.

the bayonet ban is the date the sks was imported into the U.S. ( after MAY 1989), not the date the sks was made.

if it was staked, it was imported after the ban and added to the rifle after it was imported by someone else. many,(not all) had the threads drilled out so you could not install the original bayonet on them. then they started just cutting off the bayonet lugs.

we had gotten most of ours before the ban or just after the ban and they still all had the bayonets still on them.
i remember uncrating sks rifles and making piles of bayonets in the empty sks wooden crates. we had a table set up away from us and sold them at gun shows for $1 each or 12 for $10. sold them as tent stakes. it became way to much trouble ( covered in grease and cosmolene) so in 1996 to 2006 we just left them in the crates with the bayonets on them and quit selling them. it was to hard to keep track of the ones that were imported before the import ban and so we just remove only on all of them just before we sold them.

it was a real pain in the A$$ for the dealers. some of the dealers just said screw it and just sold them with the bayonets on them. i never heard of anything happing to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.