Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
What are you betting that Bernie Sanders and leftist leaning university professors never bring this up?
Having said all that, suspect Nazis would have exterminated them in a camp had they been caught aiding Jews or POWs.
Best way to avoid war atrocities is to avoid war. Trite but true.
Thanks for posting, this was news to me.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
ho-hum........like that has never happened before or since, soldiers murdering civilians, children, pet cats, cows etc,

as for "rest in peace"............. they were "resting in peace" until someone came along and dug them up, disturbing their peace

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
ho-hum........like that has never happened before or since, soldiers murdering civilians, children, pet cats, cows etc,

as for "rest in peace"............. they were "resting in peace" until someone came along and dug them up, disturbing their peace
Well, we are pretty happy when someone is able to find and recover our MIA remains.
No matter what period or location or nationality.
I know a few SOG guys who are still on patrol.
A local fellow's remains were recovered on the "Hump" a few years ago.
Some of his family, including a sister were pleased at that.
I don't believe "disturbing" anything was an issue.
The search is ongoing and will continue the mission as long as there is a mission.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Of course it has happened before and will happen again but even so raping and torturing a nun to death is reserved for the most vile, it was the behavior of the Reds, of the “Liberation Movements”, of the VC and other truly evil individuals.

The fact that the Reds encouraged rape as a deliberate policy is a historical fact and tends to set them apart from other civilized groups.

”Ho-hum”? Wow!

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
I have Polish blood relatives that were killed by the reds in Katyn. Screw communists is all shapes and sizes.

I'm half Polish, so I know what you mean.

The great Soviet liberators didnt just liberate occupied lands from the Germans. They came to TAKE OVER those countries and controlled them indirectly under the auspices of Communism for over 40 years.

In recent decades there has been a reassessment of who was worse, Hitler or Stalin? Stalin was far worse than Hitler.

In discussing death rates of people killed under the ideologies of Nazism and Communism. Communism FAR SURPASSES anything the Germans did. You add up all deaths from 1917-1989 under Soviet and or Chinese and other Communist nations and we are talking MAJOR numbers in access of 50 million.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Definitely nothing to ho-hum about. Torturing, raping and murdering nun
so nuns are somehow a "special group" that murdering a few of them, 70 years ago, needs to have more outrage then say hundreds of thousand of woman, children murdered in conflicts die from diseases in places like Syria, Africa, etc...etc....etc..... today.

bet you say, ho-hum to that and don't give it a second thought, then turn the channel to watch something else

·
Administrator
8,027 Posts
SfcRet, I personally think you’re going down a bad road. Please review Mike’s post, #8 on this string. Whether they were nuns, peasants, SOG, or the common soldier someone honors their memory and would prefer them not desecrated in some awful pit.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so nuns are somehow a "special group" that murdering a few of them, 70 years ago, needs to have more outrage then say hundreds of thousand of woman, children murdered in conflicts die from diseases in places like Syria, Africa, etc...etc....etc..... today.

bet you say, ho-hum to that and don't give it a second thought, then turn the channel to watch something else
Yes innocents are always a special group! Women especially those who have dedicated themselves to doing good are a special group. Nuns are a special group, an attack on them is an attack on society and moral values, even more so than an attack on other innocents. There is a reason that it was alleged German attacks on nuns in WWI that caused such outrage.

Don’t bet on how others react to atrocities but question anyone who would say ho hum to a woman being tortured to death.

Post-war but codifying their special status.

Geneva Convention IV
Article 58 of the 1949 Geneva Convention IV provides:
The Occupying Power shall permit ministers of religion to give spiritual assistance to the members of their religious communities.

Geneva Convention II
Article 36 of the 1949 Geneva Convention II provides: “The religious … personnel of hospital ships … shall be respected and protected.”
Additional Protocol I
According to Article 8(d) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I:
“religious personnel” means military or civilian persons, such as chaplains, who are exclusively engaged in the work of their ministry and attached:
(i) to the armed forces of a Party to the conflict;
(ii) to medical units or medical transports of a Party to the conflict;
(iii) to medical units or medical transports described in Article 9, paragraph 2; or
(iv) to civil defence organizations of a Party to the conflict.
Additional Protocol I
Article 15(5) of the 1977 Additional Protocol I provides: “Civilian religious personnel shall be respected and protected.”

·
Registered
493 Posts

Partially....yes they are a special group. As are children and many others. But I don't say ho hum to the others you mentioned either. Don't put words in my mouth, please. It is important to bring attention to systematic rape and torture thay took place because the masses won't remember otherwise.

Father Maximilian Kolbe is an example of German cruelty. Of course it happened on both sides.

But I will say torturing, raping and murdering innocent monks, nuns, pastors, priests, rabbis, Imams, etc. is probably extra heinous in many ways as they have generally dedicated their lives to charity and avoiding violence. Obviously what happened to those nuns in 1945 represents something that happened on a larger scale too.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.