Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to agree with a gent on CMP boards when he said : With Lee products, you get either a peach or a turd.

The cast bullet sizing system by Lee is a peach. About $16, die screws into your press. Kit comes with lube for a zillion cast bullets and the system is fast and effective.

If Lee does not have a sizing die the right size for you, there is two solutions:

a. Get one nearest the size you want and open it up yourself with wood dowel and wet dry sand paper .. go slow and measure.

b. Get on Castboolit forum and ask for help: there are a few guys there that will open it up (they are machinists) for a few bucks.

So if member Kursk finds he needs to size cast bullets that he buys so they are 1 thou off is bore diameter, easy to do. Dump those bullets in a baggie, squirt the Lee lube in it, shake about and let them dry on wax paper. Then resize those bullets with the Lee sizing Die.

If someone casts his own bullets: do the above and they are lubed and sized. If lubed right (or lubed twice) Lee Liquid Lube (aka Lee Snot) works for most folks if velocity of hand loads are not off the charts.

You can even put gas checks on bullets with the Lee sizing die system.

Its a peach !!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I personally prefer the lyman/RCBS H&I system, but I do have quite a few of the lee types, one thing I like about the lee push-through system is that it doesn't put pressure on the nose. That helps when I don't have a proper top punch or need to make a larger than normal reduction (7,35 carcano from .30 cal standard) where the pressure may deform the bullet.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have to agree with a gent on CMP boards when he said : With Lee products, you get either a peach or a turd.

The cast bullet sizing system by Lee is a peach. About $16, die screws into your press. Kit comes with lube for a zillion cast bullets and the system is fast and effective.

If Lee does not have a sizing die the right size for you, there is two solutions:

a. Get one nearest the size you want and open it up yourself with wood dowel and wet dry sand paper .. go slow and measure.

b. Get on Castboolit forum and ask for help: there are a few guys there that will open it up (they are machinists) for a few bucks.

So if member Kursk finds he needs to size cast bullets that he buys so they are 1 thou off is bore diameter, easy to do. Dump those bullets in a baggie, squirt the Lee lube in it, shake about and let them dry on wax paper. Then resize those bullets with the Lee sizing Die.

If someone casts his own bullets: do the above and they are lubed and sized. If lubed right (or lubed twice) Lee Liquid Lube (aka Lee Snot) works for most folks if velocity of hand loads are not off the charts.

Its a peach !!!

Haven't checked lately, but Lee used to offer custom sizes for a small fee.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts

Its a peach !!!
I happen to have a bunch of plated and jacketed bullets (they measure .311-.312) that I would really like to take down a couple of thousandths (.308-.309) so I would feel a lot better using them in my .30 Tokarev and .30 Mauser pistols.

Is the Lee sizer going to be up to doing this?

Other than maybe putting some case lube on the bullets, I figure they are going to need to go through that die unlubricated.

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
If your press is adequate those little bullets will go right through. I would use a good lubricant though.

One thought though. If the bore and chamber neck are large enough you may be able to shoot them as is. It is not uncommon for groove dioameters to be .002 or .003 oversize.

I happen to have a bunch of plated and jacketed bullets (they measure .311-.312) that I would really like to take down a couple of thousandths (.308-.309) so I would feel a lot better using them in my .30 Tokarev and .30 Mauser pistols.

Is the Lee sizer going to be up to doing this?

Other than maybe putting some case lube on the bullets, I figure they are going to need to go through that die unlubricated.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
If your press is adequate those little bullets will go right through. I would use a good lubricant though.

One thought though. If the bore and chamber neck are large enough you may be able to shoot them as is. It is not uncommon for groove dioameters to be .002 or .003 oversize.
The press I am using is a 50+ year old Lyman All American turret press which uses the OLD-style Lyman post-type shellholders. I may have some problems adapting the ram to work with my shellholder arrangement, but I don't figure it is going to be anything I can't solve, or anything that this old Sherman Tank of a press can't take.

The chamber and case neck dimensions in my Broomhandle is generous enough to chamber just about anything I have tried to feed it, but I definitely can't say that for my Tokarev, or ESPECIALLY my CZ52.

I am also planning to use this sizer on some .311 lead bullets I plan to use for reloading 7.62X38R for my Nagant.

I plan to use an interchangeable load for all three 'X25' pistols (using mostly squeezed-down .223 brass which will already make my case necks sorta tight in the chambers if I don't ream them, and I am trying to avoid reaming if at all possible.). It looks to me like my CZ52 (by far the tightest chamber of the three) is going to determine what bullet and case neck size I need, and it just barely doesn't like some of the .311" lead bullet reloads I have tried in it.

Since nearly all the 7.62X25 rounds I have pulled apart seem to run to .307-.308 bullets, I figure the .308" Lee sizer is in my future.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

The cast bullet sizing system by Lee is a peach.
There is a third solution, that Lee will custom manufacture a sizing die in any diameter up to about .575", iirc.
I recently bought two of the custom dies, one to resize cast bullets for my Berdan II rifles to .422", for paper patching, and another, .568", to resize Burton-style cast Minie balls so they could be used in Pritchett type paper wrapped cartridges for my Pattern 1853 (repro) Enfield.
Costs were very minimal, the wait time was about 6 weeks, and the dies work great. It is a much cheaper solution compared to the expense of custom bullet moulds.

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
Ronbo
I agree with your approach to loading for the CZ 52 and then using the ammo in your other pistols.
Your press should squeeze those tiny bullets down with outany problem as long as the die is smooth on the inside.
I would definitely use some heavy bodied lube or front wheel bearing grease.

If it doesn't you might consider a compound linkage press someday.

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
I got a Midway spam mail saying they have a new complicated freight pricing policy that will save you a lot on shipping.
My BS meter blew up and dripped on to the carpet. You may be one of the first guinea pigs.

Looking to order the Lee sizer from Midway later today.

Does anybody have the skinny on any promotions or promotion codes that Midway might have going on right now?

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on the order. It is on the way.

Your BS Meter was dead-on accurate.

Ordered the Lee sizer die, and two Lee decapper spindles (I am ALWAYS breaking those suckers!). They are shipping a couple pound package AT MOST from Missouri to Ohio for a bit over $10.00.

Heck, I have shipped much larger, heavier Spam Cans of ammunition that far for less than THAT.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Well, I pulled the trigger on the order. It is on the way.

Your BS Meter was dead-on accurate.

Ordered the Lee sizer die, and two Lee decapper spindles (I am ALWAYS breaking those suckers!). They are shipping a couple pound package AT MOST from Missouri to Ohio for a bit over $10.00.

Heck, I have shipped much larger, heavier Spam Cans of ammunition that far for less than THAT.

From looking a shipping charts in the past it seems as if shippers have a minimum rate, no matter the weight.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I get all my Lee stuff from Titan Reloading, they seem to have a really good selection and their stuff is actually in stock usually.

I also like the the Lee sizer dies. I have one in .311 that I use mostly just for crimping gas checks (my mold casts around .311 anyway so no sizing is necessary.)

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Got my Lee sizer delivered yesterday, and as a trial, I resized some 90 grain .312" plated bullets down to .308" this morning. They are going to end up in some 7.63 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev loads when I get to it.

The ALOX just seemed too messy to use on plated bullets, so I used spray-on case sizing lube instead .

That sizer works slicker than snot on a brass doorknob! The bullets measured precisely .308" when I miked them.

I'm happy!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Got my Lee sizer delivered yesterday, and as a trial, I resized some 90 grain .312" plated bullets down to .308" this morning. They are going to end up in some 7.63 Mauser/7.62 Tokarev loads when I get to it.

The ALOX just seemed too messy to use on plated bullets, so I used spray-on case sizing lube instead .

That sizer works slicker than snot on a brass doorknob! The bullets measured precisely .308" when I miked them.

I'm happy!

Now you have an endless source of Tok bullets! :crossfingers:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts