Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The best part is the horses with gas masks on while the PLA cavalry charges with sabers against a nuclear attack. Good luck with that one, boys!

(On a serious note, China was just as afraid of the USSR at that time as we were. The longest nuclear-armed border was China and the Soviet Union and my Russian pals tell me their bomb shelter drills were the result of China nuke fears as well as attacks from the West. Yes, the Russian kids also knew the famed "put your head between your legs and kiss your a... goodbye" bomb drill but in Russian. )

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Other than the high dose gamma ray emitters immediately around ground zero, or promt fallout path of Hbombs, the biggest threat is inhaling or eating longer lasting alpha particle emitting isotopes. Alpha particles are stopped by dead skin or paper, so fliter masks and painter suits are not bad counter measures for people who survive the blast.

If I saw Chinese horsemen of the apocalypse galloping out of a mushroom cloud at me, I would prolly die of fright.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The best part is the horses with gas masks on while the PLA cavalry charges with sabers against a nuclear attack. Good luck with that one, boys!

(On a serious note, China was just as afraid of the USSR at that time as we were. The longest nuclear-armed border was China and the Soviet Union and my Russian pals tell me their bomb shelter drills were the result of China nuke fears as well as attacks from the West. Yes, the Russian kids also knew the famed "put your head between your legs and kiss your a... goodbye" bomb drill but in Russian. )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Soviet_border_conflict

they fought a 7 month undeclared war in 1969; no wonder they were doing duck and cover in the grade schools.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.