Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen a chinese sks today that has the long barrel shank,stock for a blade bayo,bayo missing,no factory code or characture ,4 digit serial with a double letter prefix,first letter i believe is a x

is this a sino soviet sks?

·
Copper Bullet member
2,041 Posts
Sounds like one except for "double letter" prefix.
I thought it was only one letter and four numerals.
Also, I wasn't aware they went up to X.
(I could be wrong though)
:)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i may be mistaken about the double letter prefix,i looked it over quickly and moved onto a cherry M1A he had

the import mark said made in china by Norinco,but there wasnt any factory code,in fact the only markings on the whole rifle were sn's and the import brand

thanks for the response Don

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Sounds like one to me. The "X" could be a later applied number.

·
Super Moderator
3,372 Posts
It should have the /26\ stamp but Sino-Soviets do not have the characters for type 56 like most later rifles.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it came home with me,he made me a deal i couldnt refuse,the awsome,and i mean awsome M1a and the sks for a even grand OTD

at a closer inspection it does in fact have a /26\ on the side,i missed it due to poor lighting and the dirt on the rifle,long barrel shank,4 digit serial prefix x

import brand B west,says made in china below that "sporter"

i'll get it cleaned up and get some pics up

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
The /26\ on my Sino is very lightly struck, and also hard to see.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
got it broken down,somebody did not take care of this puppy,dirty,dirty,dirty

bolt,carrier,mag,trig guard,receiver,receiver cover all match

gas tube and butt plate are un-numbered,hand guard color doesnt match so i suspect this is why the gas tube isnt numbered,more than likely replaced

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Looks good. I would guess that the stock has been replaced as it should have a side mounted sling swivel. The rear sight ladder has also been replaced as it should have the Cyrillic upside down "U" instead of the 3 for the depressed setting.

Interesting X prefix. It doedn't look like it was applied later. Looks like a original serial number.

In all a nice Sino-Soviet rifle. Great find!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the same critique at the survivors board,except the explanation aboutthe stock,they said replacement too but didnt say why

so i wouldnt be out of line if i replaced the rear site and stock with sino parts if i ever come accross them?

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I think that would be ok, but any stock you find will probably have it's serial number on it beside the swivel. I wouldn't worry about it though the stock on your rifle has the correct "fat" fore end and is cut for a blade bayonet.

Here is a photo of three SKS's for comparison. The top is a Sino-Soviet. You can see the fatter fore end on it as well as the side mounted rear swivel and blade bayonet.

The second rifle is of a later Mfg. with the narrower fore end, bottom mounted sling swivels and a spike bayonet.

The bottom rifle is also of later Mfg. and has the narrower fore end. It, however has the side mounted sling swivel. It too has the later spike type bayonet.

This photo shows the sight markings for these three rifles. The Sino-Soviet on the right, Middle ,still in the middle and the bottom rifle in the picture above on the left in this photo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts