Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this years ago as it was advertised as a single shot adapter for a Enfields - and I believe it was stated as “used to made a single shot SMLE.”
Just found it again while going through stuff

Can anyone provide any input / in-site / guesses etc ….

Thanks
Wood Office supplies Writing implement Tints and shades Metal

Grille Material property Wood Font Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Wood Grille Font Bumper

Wood Tool Composite material Rectangle Automotive exterior

Wood Rectangle Grey Tints and shades Composite material

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Yes there was an India pattern single loader. Drawing a blank as to how the platform was installed. ???

This one looks to replace the magazine as opposed to parking atop the follower.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I think the Indian single shot rifles had the same sheet-metal, riveted in platform as some of the .410 conversions. This looks commercial to me - maybe for a market with magazine restrictions?
According to Edwards you’re right. (I just took a peek) Same type of riveted ramp and wood block.
Is the back end intended to replace the magazine lever while retaining the sear spring? That would account for the hole if it lines up.
Then what would support the front?

added
Doing some mental geometry. To me relying on spring pressure from the rear might hold it up beneath the rails. Just seems like a hokey setup.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I have a Benchrest Follower that I use in a 98 action. Those are evenly supported by the factory spring and follower.
3D printing wasn’t around back when I bought it. Originally for an 03A3. Local range rules declared ‘single shot only’ so it was easier than depressing the follower in a magazine. Have a SLED for the M1 as well.
Later a light bulb went off in someone’s head on the township council. “Single shot only” was intended to prevent full auto/rapid fire semi auto. Liability and public safety blah blah blah but it made sense.
Took a lot of complaining and loss of some business before the undereducated could see that light. After that there was a 3 second rule between shots.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
28,869 Posts
I like it. No doubt a story somewhere. I'd bet on a high power competition thing.

Reactions: plonker

·
Registered
429 Posts
It would make it a bit more difficult to chamber a round.
When feeding from a magazine, the rim of the cartridge slides up underneath the extractor claw with no effort. When feeding from the magazine cutoff or directly into the chamber, you have to force the extractor claw over the cartridge rim which takes extra effort.
This is why it's possible to quickly empty a magazine just by flicking the bolt backwards and forwards without closing it (a neat party trick by the way, and allegedly done by Breaker Morant before handing his rifle over to the MP's when he was arrested).
If doing single shots it's much easier just to push each single round into the mag, IMHO

·
Platinum Bullet Member
63,413 Posts
According to Edwards you’re right. (I just took a peek) Same type of riveted ramp and wood block.
Is the back end intended to replace the magazine lever while retaining the sear spring? That would account for the hole if it lines up.
Then what would support the front?

added
Doing some mental geometry. To me relying on spring pressure from the rear might hold it up beneath the rails. Just seems like a hokey setup.
my Indian SL has a stamped steel ramp, and a wood block under it pinned in 2 places,
the block does not move, doubt there is anything other than wood under it

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
my Indian SL has a stamped steel ramp, and a wood block under it pinned in 2 places,
the block does not move, doubt there is anything other than wood under it
Only having seen some and handled/fired a couple, I didn’t recall the exact mod right off. It has been a while.
What you have is the norm. Sheet metal feed ramp riveted to the receiver and covered by a shaped wood block beneath when assembled.
Edwards wrote there was an overlap in production. The SL was first. Then the 410 came on line. Both were produced simultaneously for some years. Then the SL was dropped and the 410 continued on. Turned out the 410 was better suited for the intended purpose.

·
Registered
17,989 Posts
It would make it a bit more difficult to chamber a round.
When feeding from a magazine, the rim of the cartridge slides up underneath the extractor claw with no effort. When feeding from the magazine cutoff or directly into the chamber, you have to force the extractor claw over the cartridge rim which takes extra effort.
This is why it's possible to quickly empty a magazine just by flicking the bolt backwards and forwards without closing it (a neat party trick by the way, and allegedly done by Breaker Morant before handing his rifle over to the MP's when he was arrested).
If doing single shots it's much easier just to push each single round into the mag, IMHO
Which is why snipers single loaded?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
At the time .303 target shooting across the Commonwealth moved away from militia type practices (which included a lot of magazine fire) to primarily deliberate fire (slow fire to those across the pond) it became common for competition rules to mandate single loading. To single load it is easier to drop a round onto the feed platform while watching the wind flags. Having to insert a round into the magazine was a small time waster, and difficult to do without taking the rifle out of the shoulder. That's why I use one but it is a cut down mag with a feed platform brazed on top.

Another advantage of the feed platform idea is the magazine does not stick out below the wood line (and prevent you from gripping the rifle so far back) - useful for smaller stature shooters.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Believe it or not, those were made in Canada as a single shot adapter for the No.4 rifle.
I have not seen one on the loose for years...I still have a few around here somewhere!!!
The operative word is "somewhere".
I saw one on the bench within the last year!!!
Are you familiar with their installation? I’m assuming the back end replaces the magazine catch lever and the sear spring is installed in the perch provided

Is there anything supporting the forward end other than spring pressure?

Thanks for the ID

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
To be honest, I think I popped on into a stripped No.4 action once to try it and that was it.
That had to be 30 plus years ago.
A couple of people were making single shot target rifles on No.4 receivers and hovered up the few remaining.
I will take a look in the pile of caca around here and see if I can find it and maybe there are markings or alterations on it if I tried to fit it.
Back in a while.
I seem to recall buying it from a surplus dealer I knew well and who had an in at one of the Canadian bases.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts