Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just joined little while ago and thought I would chime in here. A little over (2) years ago I became fascinated with single shot rifles, specifically in the 45-70 caliber. My first acquisition was an antique 1884 Springfield Trapdoor, excellent condition with an 1889 manufacturing cartouche. I shoot black powder cartridges exclusively with this one, trying to replicate original cartridge configurations (405g and 500g) using Wolf's book.

Since then I have acquired a Remington Rolling Block (Pedersoli replica), an 1885 Winchester Highwall (Uberti replica), and just got an 1874 Sharps Sporting Rifle (Armsport replica) and an 1874 Sharps Infantry Rifle (Pedersoli replica) last month. I shoot black powder and Triple7 in these guns. I joined a local club this past summer that has a long distance 'gong' rang , out to a 1000 meters in 200 meter increments.

I'm a big fella and well padded so recoil isn't a problem , these are all fairly heavy guns as well. Will be spending the winter reloading about 500 cartridges with some new projectiles 525g round nose and a 535g Postell as well as mu home cast 405g and 500g round nose flat points.

Regards, Retreever

·
Banned
1,902 Posts
I've been shooting an original '86 Winchester in .45-90 with 405 gr. cast bullets and not noticing much difference from a .45-70. When the weather improves I'll move it out to 1,000 yds. In terms of their accuracy, historical importance and availability, I've always thought the trapdoors were undervalued.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was able to get out to the range yesterday despite -4degC temps. On the plus side it was nice and sunny out and I was shooting from an enclosed bay.

Using my own reloads
  • 38g weight Triple Seven powder,
  • card stock wad and
  • 500g home cast lead bullet
Scored 1" group (4 rounds) at 25 yards, 2" group (4 rounds ) at 50 yards and 2.25" group (4 rounds) at 100 yards, so I'm happy. That said however, she is shooting 7.5" high and 2.0" right so another trip to the range is in order to get her zero'ed with the 500g projectile.

After that I have (2) other projectiles 525g and 535g postel loaded over the same Triple Seven load and also loaded over 70g of black powder to try out.

Roger

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Very nice collection of 45-70s! I especially like that 1874 Infantry Sharps. I love shooting military style black powder cartridge rifles. I have a M1888 ramrod bayonet made in 1892, very nice shooter with blackpowder. I've been using 405s with 60 grains of powder and out to a couple hundred yards its dead on and a real light recoil pleasure to shoot. I would like to try some 500grs eventually. Thanks for sharing your collection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A while back I bought separately, a 1873 Remington Rolling Block (Navy Arms/Pedersoli repro) and period correct 18" 4x Brass Scope (Tasco repro), finally got these (2) married up and hoping they shoot as pretty as they look. Had the gunsmith make up (2) custom mounting blocks out of brass and installed a new firing pin and extractor at the same time.

Retreever

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I've been a 45-70 rifle shooter for several years. My first 45-70 was a Garrett Arms Calvary carbine. A beautiful little carbine with a case hardened receiver, blued barrel and polished steel furnishings . It has a ladder rear site graduated to 800 yds. and rounded blade front site. My next 45-70 is a Sharps type replica Pedersoli rifle that I bought at the Quigley Long Range shoot in Forsyth, Montana a couple years back. I have a tang site mounted on this rifle graduated to 1000 yds. and that is a fine shooting rifle. The third 45-70 rifle is a Shiloh Sharps rifle from Big Timber, Montana that I use now for competition shoots out to 1000 yds. I used to cast all my bullets but now I buy my 405 grain and my 500 grain hard cast lead bullets from Rim Rock Bullets out of Polson, Montana. They are excellent bullets.

My last big bore rifle purchase is a Cimarron replica of the Winchester Model 1876 lever action rifle in 45-60 caliber. I reload my ammo for that rifle using my older 45-70 cases trimmed back from 2.10" to 1.81" and they work very well. The bullets for this load are hard cast .457" weighing 300 grain. This is one of my favorite rifles. I often use the 45-60 ammo I make in my Garrett Calvary Carbine for mild shooting and it's very accurate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been a 45-70 rifle shooter for several years. My first 45-70 was a Garrett Arms Calvary carbine. A beautiful little carbine with a case hardened receiver, blued barrel and polished steel furnishings . It has a ladder rear site graduated to 800 yds. and rounded blade front site. My next 45-70 is a Sharps type replica Pedersoli rifle that I bought at the Quigley Long Range shoot in Forsyth, Montana a couple years back. I have a tang site mounted on this rifle graduated to 1000 yds. and that is a fine shooting rifle. The third 45-70 rifle is a Shiloh Sharps rifle from Big Timber, Montana that I use now for competition shoots out to 1000 yds. I used to cast all my bullets but now I buy my 405 grain and my 500 grain hard cast lead bullets from Rim Rock Bullets out of Polson, Montana. They are excellent bullets.

My last big bore rifle purchase is a Cimarron replica of the Winchester Model 1876 lever action rifle in 45-60 caliber. I reload my ammo for that rifle using my older 45-70 cases trimmed back from 2.10" to 1.81" and they work very well. The bullets for this load are hard cast .457" weighing 300 grain. This is one of my favorite rifles. I often use the 45-60 ammo I make in my Garrett Calvary Carbine for mild shooting and it's very accurate.
Would you post pics of the Garrett Arms Calvary carbine.

Thanks, Retreever

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Retreever ----- Attached are some photos of my Garrett Arms carbine I took a few years ago. If you would like more details I could take a few more for you to look at. I enjoy shooting this little carbine. Do you have a Garrett carbine or rifle. I saw a Garrett Arms at a gun show once that had a 24" barrel but the barrel was a replacement. The rifle had been a carbine originally. Let m e know if you'd like more recent photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Retreever ----- Attached are some photos of my Garrett Arms carbine I took a few years ago. If you would like more details I could take a few more for you to look at. I enjoy shooting this little carbine. Do you have a Garrett carbine or rifle. I saw a Garrett Arms at a gun show once that had a 24" barrel but the barrel was a replacement. The rifle had been a carbine originally. Let m e know if you'd like more recent photos.
Hey BC, thanks for the pics - nice looking rifle, I like the saddle ring and no I don't have one. Closest in look would be my 1874 Sharps Sporting Rifle (Armsport replica) which you can see in my original post at the start f this thread.

Thanks Again
Retreever

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sun was shining yesterday and wasn't too cold -4degC so I decided to hit the range.

This was the first outing with the Rolling Block and the 4x brass scope combo, she scored a nice 3" group at 50 yards but the offset block for the rear mount will need be worked on.

Also the first time for the Sharps with the vernier sight, got on the paper but needs more work. This is the second time I've had the Highwall out with the HiLux Malcolm 6x scope, 5 out of 5 on the 6" gong at 100 yards.

Retreever

·
Silver Bullet member
6,061 Posts
Thanks BC, I do load my own ammo and cast my own bullets - 405g and 500g RNFP projectiles. Retreever
Hi there, tac in UK with a question, seeing as how you already have a couple of those lovely old-fashioned scopes. I do, too. Mine came from a junk stall at a gun show many years ago, and I recall paying bout $10 each for them. Neither has anything on them, but both operate in the same way, using the slides to set the reticle focus and then the eyepiece. The actual crosshairs are exceedingly fine. I suspect that yours are the real deal - Winchesters? but mine are probably not. The brass version is mounted on a cheap, pressed steel mount, and that is stamped underneath 'Wards 93M 2155A'. It has been drilled with a variety of holes, none of which actually line up with each other in any plane.

I'd be grateful for any additional information you might have. Living here in UK most of the year, and for the last two years, 'trapped', means that our usual visits home to ON or Oregon are, for the moment, things of the past, and that means all my shooting pals with whom to share these items at first-hand.

I have a Uberti High Wall in .47-70Govt, for which I reload over here, too, and I'm hoping not to have to use my x18 Unertl 2" super target with calibrated head on it. See bottom Youtube video -

BSA International MkII left-hand with Unertl scope...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there, tac in UK with a question, seeing as how you already have a couple of those lovely old-fashioned scopes. I do, too. Mine came from a junk stall at a gun show many years ago, and I recall paying bout $10 each for them. Neither has anything on them, but both operate in the same way, using the slides to set the reticle focus and then the eyepiece. The actual crosshairs are exceedingly fine. I suspect that yours are the real deal - Winchesters? but mine are probably not. The brass version is mounted on a cheap, pressed steel mount, and that is stamped underneath 'Wards 93M 2155A'. It has been drilled with a variety of holes, none of which actually line up with each other in any plane.
View attachment 3794789
I'd be grateful for any additional information you might have. Living here in UK most of the year, and for the last two years, 'trapped', means that our usual visits home to ON or Oregon are, for the moment, things of the past, and that means all my shooting pals with whom to share these items at first-hand.

I have a Uberti High Wall in .47-70Govt, for which I reload over here, too, and I'm hoping not to have to use my x18 Unertl 2" super target with calibrated head on it. See bottom Youtube video - View attachment 3794790
BSA International MkII left-hand with Unertl scope...

Hi Tac, actually both of mine are reproductions - the brass one is by Tasco out of Japan probably manufactured around 1950-60's and the black one is a reproduction Malcolm by a company called HiLux out of the US. I think it's quite likely yours are the real deal , I googled Wards 93M 2155A rifle scope and had a fair number of hits, not for the exact model but it looks like Wards was an American scope manufacturer that was associated with Mossberg.

Here are pics the of info on my brasser , Youtube video link did not come through.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts