Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this new thread to the Mosin/Nagant forum to collect information on the Simonav Mosin/Nagant Test Rifles (Model 1936 ?) to possibly do a article on these very interesting rifles that show the different front sights (I have found four (4) different types so far), stock markings and chamber markings and any other differences that might be used only on these types of rifles. I would appreciate anyone sending me serial number, stock markings and the type of front sight that appears on your rifle. I plan on having a friend to do a data sheet showing the four different front sights as well as well as the two types of receivers (round and hex) and the stock markings as the rear sights that might also be different with each type of rifle. I look forward to any replies to this thread as it would be appreciated. I have heard that there are at least six (6) different front sights on these rifles, so I look forward to any new information on these variations of these rifles.
Yours Truly,
Robert "Tex" Hanes

·
Administrator
9,498 Posts
I'll get you the info on mine this evening Tex. Look forward to seeing what you come up with and see if the stock numbers somehowmatch up to the different models.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Dear Bob,

even if we already talked on these guns by phone and email I want to share the few informations I have here on GB.

The most identifaible feature of these guns was the Mauser type bayonet mounting system.
The bayonet had a hilt with a mounting ring and a knife blade similar to the one of the AVS 36.
there were between 6 to 9 possible variations with different front sight arrangements. Most, but not all, have a serial number that starts with a '0'. Possibly the guns were made in blocks of 500 for each configuration.
All the examples I saw were dated 1936 and most were buit in "Hex" receivers, while other examples were built on the new round receiver. These guns were made at the Tula arsenal.
The total amount of the Test guns of 1936 should be between 30,000 and 35,000, on the conservative side if 6 / 7 different configurations were actually made.

As far as I know ( but I may be wrong) these test guns originated between 1935 and 1936 from the solutions proposed by S. G. Simonov, V. A. Degtyaryov, Rosheshepi and V. P. Konovalov.

Hope to hear more detailed informations in this thread.

Alberto

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The buttstock of these test guns are usually marked with the following cyrillic letters

СВ - КШ - ЗВ

which stands for (correct me if i'm wrong, please)

SV - KSH - ZV

I would be interested in a possible meaning.

·
Administrator
9,498 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.