Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like free silver..here lately, i have been coin rolling.
buy a box 50 rolls of nickels at your bank $100.00
or a box of dollar coins or quarters $500.00 per box
go thru the rolls and see what you can find..i am averaging 1 war nickel per box
i collect coins, so the silver is not the only thing i harvest..
all it costs you is time
i am on my 3rd box this week..last night, i harvested 1 1944 war nickel, hand full of 1940 and 50 dated coins...1 1939..2- rolls of 2005 buffalo's..and 3- 2009 d coins
not bad for 3 hours work

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
I did $1000 worth of halves once .. got a 40% Kennedy. Right now copper pennies are worth 2 cents melt ( yes I know you can't melt them, but they sell on ebay near melt.. nickel ( the metal) is going back up lately, even a nickel ( coin) maybe worth more than a nickel again soon at 4.7 cents right now.

the Big Secret though is that a lot of silver junk got melted down, a lot, about an estimated 4.3 billion dollars face value. For a long time nobody had any way to know how rare a coin was except by the minting numbers.. now with outfits like PCGS publishing the frequency of the various grades graded by year and mint mark , a better estimate of actual rarity and survival is available .. turns out silver mining 90% Junk , which is supposed to be not numismatic .. is yielding numismatic treasure.

Do you have a Ryedale ?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I have a friend who has a business that services coin op machines and he picks through all the change. He has about 100 5 gallon buckets full of change that's of the more valuable kind!

I have another friend who buys/gets bricks of new cash and looks for star notes and other stuff. He then sells what he finds. He seems to be making a decent living!*

*As an aside, I sold him some hard to find autoglass and he paid me with a brick of $2 bills! It was funny seeing the looks on people's face as I'm paying for things with a wad of $2 bills!

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i have about 30 lb of pre 82 cents. and getting more each week, looking for DD's and errors
wish i had a ryedale..those are pretty sweet. i have a system, slow and steady
the 1982 cents, i weigh, separate, into 7 piles
82 copper lg date
82 zinc lg date
82 copper sm date
82 zinc lg date
82 d lg date copper
82 d lg date zinc
82 d sm date zinc date
bundle these up and sell on ebay, among others
picked up a 1862 $100.00 richmond virginia treasury tax note last week for a song
pristine condition,[no folds/creases] with brown/yellowing petenia :)
your correct, nickel is going up..if savvy,,hoard em
buying nickel bricks, mining them, and keeping the stuff i usually turn in..
..there are a lot of dates that are worth 35 cents each..
partial list 1995p,1992s,84p,73d,91d,89d. etc...i was looking for a 92p to fill a hole in an album
i went thru 40 rolls before i found 1 [one] lots of 2011,12,13 14,, fyi keep all 2009p&d
2004&5 and maybe,[,to soon to tell] the 2014p low mint coins

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Buy a GOOD metal detector..you'd be amazed at how much money has been dropped..just gotta know where to look... Check you Youtube vids of metal detecting finds..Dirt fishing is a lot more fun than going thru coin rolls, IMHO.. BeSwift

·
Copper Bullet Member
8,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy a GOOD metal detector..you'd be amazed at how much money has been dropped..just gotta know where to look... Check you Youtube vids of metal detecting finds..Dirt fishing is a lot more fun than going thru coin rolls, IMHO.. BeSwift

you read my mind, got my eye on a garrett ace 250 detector with a viper coil, i hear its a magnet for coins and rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.