Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wtf do i need all of these guns for? i could probably get by with around a dozen.

here are the ones i really need.

concealed carry - xd40, cz82
hunting - ruger .243, shotgun
shtf - m1a, xd40, shotgun
postal - amd65, xd40, shotgun
home defense - shotgun, ar15, 1911, xd40
eotw - m1a, ar15
critters in yard - .22 remington,
collecting - 03a3, garand, m1 carbine, m39, gew98

and maybe a few more.

that leaves me with a lot of guns i don't need or ever even shoot. maybe it is a good time to start listing on gunbroker. sometimes i just feel silly having so many guns and never even touching most of them. so many things i would like to buy......... boerboel, atv, pay off my tractor etc.

plus if i didn't have so many guns maybe i would become a better shot with the ones i do keep and shoot. yep, i can see gunbroker in my future. just hope i don't regret it later.:eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are not a collector, it is silly. When you think about those that survived conditions all around the world with a musket or a single shot you start to realize how over the top we have become.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,928 Posts
The one advantage to owning a bunch of robust, easy to use and clean bolt action carbines and long guns is in case a SHTF situation requires organizing some trustworthy locals who don't own guns and never thought in these terms into a cohesive group that can provide for the common defense of the area. You can't do it all on your own - you have to go to sleep sometime. Mosins were designed so that illiterate peasants could use them effectively - in a SHTF situation, that's about the level most people in my neck of the woods would be operating on.

Edited to say - if you sell them, where are you going to put the money? Tangible assets are more likely than most other things to hold value if things get really ugly. What if you'd sold all your guns 10 years ago and put the money in the bank at 2-3% - or in the stock market - or in real estate? Isn't it just as well you hung onto them?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
living where i do almost everybody owns guns. those that don't may not be worth saving. but you are right. you can buy a lot of mosins and ammo for next to nothing and have a regular militia.

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
A lot is going to depend on what you are selling.. right now as near as I can tell .. semi are selling at a premium and bolts are selling at a discount.. lot of folks are dumping hunting rifles for bill money/Christmas money right now. Try not to sell into a down or weak market.

Have a Reason to sell, only sell enough to accomplish it... I would look at other bric-a brac and junk ( to you) stuff arround the house first.. have a garage sale.. round up all your recyclables and sell them... in fact if you have weekly recyclable pick up and have been giving it away.. those recycling companies make tons of money.. sort out what you can sell locally yourself and let the pick-ups deal with your plastic bottles or whatnot. Look to upgrade stuff like bikes or old camping gear.. sell what you plan to upgrade and then upgrade.

Set a minimum price on stuff .. and whatever you do don't look like you are panic selling.. the vultures will assume you are and try and rip you off.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have this same argument with myself a few times a year. I let go of a bunch of random pieces, but am having a hard time getting rid of "collections" (Mosins, P-14's) that I've pieced together. With it being a buyers market for all but black rifles right now, I'd hold off in hopes of the market improving, but then it could also get much worse. Unless you're really hard up for cash for critical preps or to pay the bills, I'd wait out the market. My 02. BeSwift

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i'm not having a fire sale by any means. i do have some semis i could let go of, a garand, yugo sks, maybe an ar or two, perhaps a couple of m1 carbines. hell if i sold those that is a few grand right there. enough for a boerboel and plenty of dog food.

it's just that i am getting older and really am starting to review my gun spending habits. what do i need for survival, hunting etc? why do i buy so many guns just to "have them"? those are the questions i am asking myself.

likewise, i am sitting on this beautiful harley that i don't even ride anymore. wtf am i doing?

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
what you don't need

M1Aman I just put every milsurp long gun I own except for a K31 Swiss sniper and a 03 National Match and an Armalite AR10 on gunbrokers. I sold 29 long guns for approximately 30%-40% more than I expected they would bring.. I sold a US Krag for just under two thousand dollars and Swede model 38 for over $1500.00 Yes, they are crazy out there. now is the time. take the money, cash the checks and keep the cash in the safe with the pistols and hang on till we see what thehell is coming next. Good Luck. OG46

·
Gold Bullet member
2,439 Posts
"He who dies with the most toys Wins"

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
Goat, looked at a krag today at the show, pretty decent, it said make an offer. i saud 200 hundred bucks, he laughed, took it really well. explained the rifle had a very nice bore, da da da. 1000 bucks was the least he'd take. i did'nt think it was a bad deal, but i did'nt have a thousand on me. :D i like those old rifles, hope to get one someday.

·
Premium Member
4,700 Posts
All great reasons to own guns....even a "Postal" catagory.... ;)

And my personal "Best reason to own guns"; Because I CAN! :)

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,928 Posts
Funny but I took the Nighthawk on a spin yesterday. It's unseasonably warm in the SF Bay Area right now and I don't drain the tank or put the thing on a trickle charger for the winter so I thought I'd run it for some miles just to keep it in running condition. I'm not as confident on the thing as I was in my younger years and I go back and forth about keeping it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny but I took the Nighthawk on a spin yesterday. It's unseasonably warm in the SF Bay Area right now and I don't drain the tank or put the thing on a trickle charger for the winter so I thought I'd run it for some miles just to keep it in running condition. I'm not as confident on the thing as I was in my younger years and I go back and forth about keeping it.
sounds nice. i let both my tags and insurance expire on my fxdwg so i am too afraid to hit the pavement with it. :eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was actually thinking this same thing this afternoon while picking up my CMP club membership renewal. I mean i really cannot shoot up to the standard a lot of people would think given my base knowledge of firearms. I was thinking yeah suppose you get a M44 from CMP you know dang good and well you will not shoot it. On the otherhand for me firearms at least mil-surps and to a lesser extent certain EBRs are a much better way to spend money for personal "fun stuff" then boats, PWC, or home entertainment stuff. My real "collection" stuff continues to grow and I am slowly adding to it. My non-C&R stuff is truely way over the top but again I wouild rather spend money on this than stuff that will either become obselete or badly depreciated. I am far more selective now and have really begun to focus on the rare or unusual then oh that is a great deal on another Enfield or whatever.
Just be sure you will not regret what you sell. Being a bit forward but do you have any children or grand children to leave your "excessive" toys to who might appreciate them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I kind of like to have one thing in each caliber...with the exception of Mosins. Got a few of those. I mean, even if you just want one example of each variant, you are looking at laying out a bunch of money as well as space in the safe. Oh, well.

As far as history goes, the M39 does kind of roll a bunch of events into one tidy, compact package. It is interesting holding something in your hands that was made in 1896, then probably went through the First World War, the Revolution, the Civil War, and then wound up being re-worked by Finnish armorers into something superb, that went on through the Winter War, etc. The receiver has shrapnel scars.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
just wish i had all the money i could spend for them i would have a big warehouse just like century does mfull of guns and ammo and i might even let in some friends to see them

·
Registered
339 Posts
I had been thinking of the same thing...plus the need for cash for life's expenses really had me thinking of how many guns do I need!

I took a table at a gun show last month - wowza! Everyone told me that it was black guns, AK's or nothing...but I sold 14 C+R bolt guns in a hurry. I priced them below Gunbroker (of course) and above what I thought I could get for them on the trader and they flew off the table. I sold ten the first day! I whittled the collection down and turned the back into things I really needed - a handgun, ammo, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts