Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very nice Yugo rework model 98. Would this be the appropriate forum to discuss it or should I be in the Military Mauser forum? I know it sounds silly but I want to be in the right forum.

Second silly question...I've heard references to a model m98 or 98/48. Is that what I have? On the side of the ring is says "Preduzece 44" with "Mod 98" on the side of the rail.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
You have a German issue WWII K98 Mauser that was converted post war by by the Yugo's.
Preduzece 44 was the name of the factory that did the conversion.
It, and you, belong here...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You have a German issue WWII K98 Mauser that was converted post war by by the Yugo's.
Preduzece 44 was the name of the factory that did the conversion.
It, and you, belong here...
Thanks for the welcome! I'm new to Mausers (a coverted Mosin addict) and I'm trying to learn all I can. I've picked up some good books and try to read the boards every day. In selling off and trading most of my Mosins I managed to acquire some beautiful Mausers...2 24/47's, an M48A, a 1903 Turk, and this k98, and it is the nicest of them all. When I traded for it I wasn't real sure what I was getting, and when it came in I was pleased, to say the least. I've done some close searching on it, and although I haven't had it apart I've found a couple of tiny Waffenamts on it. It's a beauty...I'll have to get come pictures up.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Welcome aboard and I hear if you scrub your hands long enough with a stiff brush and lye soap, the grease off those Mosin's can be slowly removed!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went from 17 Mosins down to 2. I kept my 91/59 which I bought from my brother and was the first rifle of my collection (not to mention it is gorgeous and is an awesome shooter) and my repro sniper. Those two aren't going anywhere. As for the rest of them, I had 5 m44 carbines, and I didn't even like them, a m38 which I decided I didn't need, and 9 91/30's, which while nice, just didn't move me anymore. The last one I sold, which was a '33 Tula and was the best shooter of the bunch I meant to keep, but a sudden financial difficulty forced the sale and I was left with two.

On the other hand, I picked up the 5 Mausers, a CZ-50, a CZ-52, and bought a high capacity Makarov (which I hadn't even seen before and the price was right).

Now I've got my heart set on a Walther P1. I can't afford a P38 (heck, can't afford a P1 right now), but I really want one.

As for my k98, I broke it down looking for more WaA markings, and have found a total of 5, all on the outside. I was hoping to find something to give me a clue as to when and where this was originally made, but when they scrubbed this one, they scrubbed it good, so no such luck.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The WaA's can offer clues, what are they?
As to the P1, I picked one up after wanting one for years.
It's an older import, been here about 10 years with a tiny I.O. mark on the left side.
I paid $400 and was pretty happy overall, THEN they appear for $225 at AIM!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front sight: 37
Rear sight slider: 356
Extractor ring around bolt: 655
Bolt disc in buttstock: 37 on each side

All the numbers are stamped matching, but the stock has been replaced as the original number is lined out and restamped to match everything else.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Sauer used WaA37.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The Yugos called their reworked German K98k's the M98/48's. Only a few of them are actually stamped with the extra "/48", however. Preduzece 44 is today the Zastava Arms Company.

·
Registered
737 Posts
...Come on in...the info is FINE!

Welcome ab4ka to the best forum for K98's "ON THE PLANET"!
These guys are knowledgable, patient, and professional with their answers and comments; feel free to ask anything...I sure did...and now know how to tell the difference from an original JP Sauer and Sons...and my elbow...

I personally blame the Aussies (Lithgow Enfields), Brits (BSA Enfields), Germany (K98's), and the Imperial Japanese Army (Type 99's)...FOR BEING BROKE!

all the best!
Ron

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yugo.? 98k?

The one I have still has ce44 on the receiver ring and Yugo. proofs on the barrel. The stock is similar to the middle stock on the bottom of p.313 in R.Ball's 4th. edition book. Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts