Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Coming from Japan it's not as if it has any capture provenance. Perhaps it's signed by an important person or belonged to someone significant? To my eye it's a $150. flag. Seller has lots of negative feedback

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
762 Posts
It is a nice flag, but I don't see the magical phrase "Tokkotai" (Special Attack Unit) anywhere pointing to a kamikaze unit. Maybe two bidders had it bad for a heavily signed flag.

I met a Japanese antique dealer in Japan several years back who had a Tokkotai inscribed flag displayed in his shop. According to the story he told, he was slated to crash his plane into the allies, but the war ended before he left on mission. He was super proud of his flag and no amount of money could separate him from it.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks legit,If I remember correctly the flag in silk(or its derivatives i.e. nylon and "I Think" Rayon) was presented to the soldier from a more "well to do family" as opposed to the average working class family which the flag would have been made in cotton.What also bumps up the value are the more saucy expressions applied in writing on the flag aimed towards The U.S. Or British(yes I have seen a few of those!!!),Also some have beautiful artwork on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.