Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
9,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning, in a Photo in the local Paper, saw ()in Background) the classic Persian Mauser Carbine ( M29 or M49?) ( big ear sights, Short stock and correct bands) being carried by a lone ISIS Rebel in the midst of a group of AKs, PKMs, etc.

Must be a capture left-over from the Iran-Iraq war, in Saddam's time ( 70s-80s)
Looked in VGC too.

Doc AV

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
They are all over Iraq. My Iraqi Army partner had one in his office that he captured in an Iranian border town during the Iran/Iraq war. He tried to give it to me as a gift when he saw how interested in it I was. I did not accept it, but we did talk guns for a while. He told me that he and all the males of his family also have BRNO made sporting mausers, it is a sign of wealth in Iraq. And they do hunt deer there, a species of them migrates south from Europe and passes through Iraq for about a week out of the year north of Mosul. Prior to the Kurd/Shiite uprising in the mid 1990s the area was open to the public to hunt, but it has been closed since. There is a Bedouin tradition of hunting deer where the men of the tribe will hide behind cover, wait for the herd of deer to approach, then come up to fire a volley into the herd. He showed me pictures to prove it, very interesting to see and Iraqi in Bedouin garb posing with a rifle and a deer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts