Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a sight hood for a k98 fit a 24/47 or an m48? I've made some nice trades recently (more posts and stupid questions to come) and my k98 and one 24/47 have sight hoods and I really like them. SARCO is advertising k98 sight hoods for $9.95. Would they fit the m48a and 24/47 that I picked up that don't have the hoods?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Yugo Sighthoods

Here's the graphic from that link...

That's a page from the Yugo manual.

Note the Type "A" is a universal and will fit either style sight base. The other must have the second sight base though I expect you could grind off the tabs of type A easily enough.
The only proviso for putting a hood on a 24/47 would be if it has a replacement barrel and many, if not most, do. The original model1924 sightbase was not slotted for a hood which is why the 24/47 is classed with it in the graphic. The M48 replacement barrels were installed after the refurb program, possibly after the date of this publication.

I am not familiar enough with the K98 hood but I would think it was most likely the model for the M48 series and should work fine.

That help? :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my k98 and my 27/47 without the hood look like "A", with no slot in the front. My m48a and 24/47 with the hood look like "B", with the slot in the front. It looks to me like the k98 hood would fit any of them, and the m48a&b hood would fit if you ground the tabs off.

Thanks for the help, like they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Now, where can I get my hands on a copy of that manual?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Now, where can I get my hands on a copy of that manual?
My best guess would be the Military Museum in Belgrade. :D

That pic was courtesy of Branko Bogdanovic by email.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Actualy Nug, IIRC, the type A sight hood is not universal. The sides of the type A hood sides fit in the groove are convex. The type A base groove is a matching concave slot.

The type B base slot is not concave so though the type A hood will fit in the slot it does not realy fit correctly.

Vlad

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Thanks for the correction Vlad. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may just leave well enough alone. After all, isn't variety the spice of life :eek:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for kicks I took the sight hood off of my k98 (it's a Yugo refurb, but there's a waffenampt on the front of the sight so I assume the sight is original), which has the type "A" sight and put it on my m48a (with the type "B" sight) and it seemed to fit fine. The slots on my m48a are concave and everything seemed nice and tight. Numrich has what they advertise as m48 and m48a sight hoods, but they are the same picture and part number and don't appear to have the end tabs on them. I think I'll give it a shot. I like the sight picture so much better on the two with the hoods that the others seem naked :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tonight I was reading "Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles", and on page 176 it says that the 24/47 should not have a sight hood. So, just for fun I took the hood off of my 24/47 that had one (and it turned out to be a "B" type hood with the tabs) and put it on my M48A. I still think I like the 24/47 better with a hood (I like the sight picture much better), so "correct" or not, I think I'll put hoods on them. At least I know the type "A" hood will fit both of them even though one has a type "B" sight. Now I just have to get slings and bayonets (and ammo pouches and cleaning kits :D)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just ordered the M48A hood from Numrich. It fit my M48BO perfectly. I agree with the sight picture. It's much better for me with the hood.

TKacook

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just ordered the M48A hood from Numrich. It fit my M48BO perfectly. I agree with the sight picture. It's much better for me with the hood.

TKacook

Does it have the tabs on it?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The one I got from Numrich did not have the tabs on the ends. It was item 48040.

TKacook

1 - 13 of 13 Posts