Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Examined one today at an LGS.
Sorely tempted.
Anyone have one (or any version for that matter)?

Pros and cons? If you don't mind, thanks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The new Sig P210 Target is a great pistol IMO and a modernized P210 with several upgrades. I think these are the highest quality pistols that Sig currently makes with superb fit and finish. I love mine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Best pistol I own: smooth doesn't begin to describe it's action, trigger is near perfect, well finished. The only thing that comes close is my S&W 745, but that shoots bigger bullets. For range or target, I don't think you can beat it.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to those who posted.

I did, in fact, grab the one I was looking at in the LGS.
Looked good, felt good and it was good until round number 16.
Full disclosure, I bought it, took it home, cleaned it (to remove shipping oil), reapplied oil and reassembled.
The following Sunday, it went to the range with me.
I loaded both magazines with factory ammo and fired one round, then unloaded the pistol.
Found the empty and examined it for any obvious defects, there were none.
I then proceeded to fire the rest of that magazine and then the next.
At round number 16 (the last in the second magazine), the firearm had an out of battery discharge.
Both grip panels were shattered, the magazine was totally disassembled and the follower was destroyed.
The nose of the ejector was snapped off.
The cartridge case was blown out just above the rim (took a few days to verify this as I did not find the case immediately) and the primer was just gone.
Minor shock injury to my right hand and several small punctures to my face, just below the edge of my safety glasses.

Examination of the firearm, after the fact, showed a bright ring of copper at the chamber mouth, suggesting (to me, anyway) that the barrel had not been properly finished.
Every round fired left a bit of the copper from the bullet at the end of the chamber eventually pushing the next loaded case further and further back until the case was unsupported enough to fail.
That is my theory, anyway.

The firearm was returned to the dealer who, in turn, returned it to Sig.
A full refund for both the firearm and the ammo was offered and accepted.

FWIW, the pistol ran fine up to the point of failure and was very accurate at 25 yards, even with the cheap (by today's measure) 115 grain bullet blasting ammo.

I took the returned funds and bought a standard version model 210.
This one was examined carefully before use and appeared to be properly finished.
It has had a couple of hundred rounds through it without incident.
It is fully as accurate as the target model.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I like everything about it except for the 8 round magazine. I’d compare it to a cz shadow 2 and possibly a Cz tso. Very easy gun to shoot accurate. Great grip, great trigger. Slide feels tight like cz’s. Sight are great. If your only buying only 1 target get I’d pick the Cz TSO. If your budget is tighter. Get a Cz Shadow 2. If your collecting target guns? Yes the p210 target is definitely worth owning. Mine runs flawless.

Stupid they didn’t do a 20 round mag since the grip is huge.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I hope you have better luck with your Sig 210 standard than I did. I bought one a month ago assuming that the only difference between it and the target were the grips and fixed sights. I tried literally everything I could to get this to shoot at 25 yards. 5 different bullet types from 115 to 147, four different powders, primers, known good loads in other pistols, and two factory 125 and 147 grain. The best I could get off the bench at 25 yards was a single 2.75" 5 shot group, most were in the 4-6" range. It was the single worst pistol for accuracy I've ever owned. I called sig and asked them about this, they said I could send it back for testing but if it passed their accuracy standard I would be charged for range time and ammo. I asked what their accuracy standard was for the Sig 210 Standard and she told me 2.5" at 10 yards, it did not have the same standard as the target model. It was meeting that standard but given the lineage of the sig 210 an accuracy standard like this means that any pistol they throw together will pass and that's what I got, a piece of garbage for accuracy. Trigger and finish were great, it just wouldn't do what it was supposed to do. I wound up trading for a NIB Wilson combat 9mm stainless Classic, much better trigger and ergonomics, and will easily meet 1" groups as guaranteed at 25 yards off the bench for 5 shots with the same components/loads as the sig 210 would shoot 4-6" with. Sorry sig, this was junk.

Frank

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems that with this model, it is coming down to luck of the draw.
The target model obviously had issues resulting from slipping manufacturing standards.
Your standard model had accuracy issues that, I'm sure, could be traced back to the same thing.
Given the long slide rails and the method of lockup something had to be seriously out of spec to produce that sort of dismal result.
Maybe their barrel dept. has problems.

Given that I haven't really broken this one in yet, I don't know what level of accuracy I can expect.
I am not displeased so far........

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well I figure it's either a substandard barrel or switching to the lock up in the ejection port just doesn't have the same consistency as locking up with lugs like the original 210 had

Seems that with this model, it is coming down to luck of the draw.
The target model obviously had issues resulting from slipping manufacturing standards.
Your standard model had accuracy issues that, I'm sure, could be traced back to the same thing.
Given the long slide rails and the method of lockup something had to be seriously out of spec to produce that sort of dismal result.
Maybe their barrel dept. has problems.

Given that I haven't really broken this one in yet, I don't know what level of accuracy I can expect.
I am not displeased so far........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts