Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
549 Posts
I don't know. M28s are a weird model to collect. To find a mostly original M28 is hard to find, but seems like you can come pretty close like the example with the matching butt plate. Almost all of them are kind of rough as few were fully refurbed like other models. Many had a few parts replaced at the end of war before going into storage. From my collection of too many, I have come to the conclusion that just about anything goes. Correctness for a M28 is having all the pertinent parts. Matching numbers, correct stocks, matching color of stock to hand guard doesn't seem to matter. Incorrect is correct for many of the surviving M28s. I do have one totally refurbed M28 that looks like it probably slipped into the M27 pile by accident, is all M28 parts, but one of only a few that I see went through total refurb. Most M28s have a very well used look about them. I think it takes a special genetic defect to really like M28s. I can't buy anymore of them my rack for M28s is full. Unless something comes along and I have to break the rules. I don't want to buy yours, but I really do like it. It looks just like a M28 ought to. Regards, John.
I have one just like you describe... must have slipped in with some M27's for a full refurb. The one I have was reblued and the stock coated similar to my M27, but darker.

Attachments

· Registered
549 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I also pretty sure that the stock was a replacement due to the serial range as well. I got it mostly for the ski stock, but also have been looking for an M28 for a while. The stock is a lighter color than most original Finn finished stocks I've seen, but very similar to the worn areas on my Sk.Y. M39, which has a pretty visibly worn but solid stock.
Nice M28! Your stock looks like it might have been sanded since it's lighter colored, but that's just an opinion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.