Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this a week or so ago, sorry in advance for the crappy pics. My Sig barreled M28, serial 8720. Considering these stocks were originally used only up until ~6,000-6,300 I'm sure its almost certain this stock is a replacement. None of the parts match except the (force matched?) bolt body. I have a few questions:

1. Notice the roughly cut second (upper) sling hole on the stock. Anyone have any rough cut like this?

2. The force-matched bolt numbers and filing marks look a bit odd to me. Anyone else?

3. The trigger is a "two-hole" M28 trigger and has two pins like M39 triggers, however the "mouse-trap" spring is missing; anyone out there have an extra one they'd be willing to let go?

4. The stock has two stock repairs on the underside, see pics. I've seen these on other M28 Ski-trooper stocks, is this repair fairly common for these?

5. Rather hard to see, but the barrel shank has two SA stamps stacked just behind the rear sight. They are upside down, not really what I'm used to seeing. Any thoughts two why there are two, doesn't really appear to be an accidental double stamp?

Thanks for any input you guys can provide. Just a few things for which I've tried searching but haven't really found very solid answers.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little bit better picture of the barrel shank and double SA stamps. Sorry I'll try to get one in better light/focus.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It may be outside the range for having a ski-trooper stock, but you should check anyway to see if there is a "20" stamped on the back of the buttplate. M/28's had their original stocks matched to them there, whereas replacement stocks won't be numbered or will have a different number (probably).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that and probably would have answered my own question ;). Its stamped with a bunch of other numbers and letters. No 20 though. Something like this:
J
V

It may be outside the range for having a ski-trooper stock, but you should check anyway to see if there is a "20" stamped on the back of the buttplate. M/28's had their original stocks matched to them there, whereas replacement stocks won't be numbered or will have a different number (probably).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I understand what you're saying. The "5" I mentioned earlier is in the same spot where your "33" is.

There's sometimes a number on the top of the buttplate. It's basically irrelevant for an m/28 though. A matched buttplate will be like so:

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's a replacement then, and it makes sense since I believe this m/28 is outside the supposed serial number range anyway. Most m/28's with ski-trooper stocks that I run across have replacement stocks. Not a huge deal, IMO, but it is nice to have original parts. Most all m/28's I see have been refurbished significantly in one way or another. But, just having a ski-trooper stocked m/28 period is much better than an m/28 with a non-ski-trooper replacement stock like most m/28's have!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
I really don't see anything real unusual. To me the slot looks like it has not been touched in a long time. I only have one double slot stock and have not checked to look for a clean hole or not? The "SA" stamps do seem slightly odd placed but nothing that would suggest anything significant in my eyes. The stock appears slightly blonde but the pics are not the best. Other that I think it looks about as right as any other M28. I wouldn't kick that one out of my rack for sure. Congrats. I like it. Regards, John.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I also pretty sure that the stock was a replacement due to the serial range as well. I got it mostly for the ski stock, but also have been looking for an M28 for a while. The stock is a lighter color than most original Finn finished stocks I've seen, but very similar to the worn areas on my Sk.Y. M39, which has a pretty visibly worn but solid stock.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know. M28s are a weird model to collect. To find a mostly original M28 is hard to find, but seems like you can come pretty close like the example with the matching butt plate. Almost all of them are kind of rough as few were fully refurbed like other models. Many had a few parts replaced at the end of war before going into storage. From my collection of too many, I have come to the conclusion that just about anything goes. Correctness for a M28 is having all the pertinent parts. Matching numbers, correct stocks, matching color of stock to hand guard doesn't seem to matter. Incorrect is correct for many of the surviving M28s. I do have one totally refurbed M28 that looks like it probably slipped into the M27 pile by accident, is all M28 parts, but one of only a few that I see went through total refurb. Most M28s have a very well used look about them. I think it takes a special genetic defect to really like M28s. I can't buy anymore of them my rack for M28s is full. Unless something comes along and I have to break the rules. I don't want to buy yours, but I really do like it. It looks just like a M28 ought to. Regards, John.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't know. M28s are a weird model to collect. To find a mostly original M28 is hard to find, but seems like you can come pretty close like the example with the matching butt plate. Almost all of them are kind of rough as few were fully refurbed like other models. Many had a few parts replaced at the end of war before going into storage. From my collection of too many, I have come to the conclusion that just about anything goes. Correctness for a M28 is having all the pertinent parts. Matching numbers, correct stocks, matching color of stock to hand guard doesn't seem to matter. Incorrect is correct for many of the surviving M28s. I do have one totally refurbed M28 that looks like it probably slipped into the M27 pile by accident, is all M28 parts, but one of only a few that I see went through total refurb. Most M28s have a very well used look about them. I think it takes a special genetic defect to really like M28s. I can't buy anymore of them my rack for M28s is full. Unless something comes along and I have to break the rules. I don't want to buy yours, but I really do like it. It looks just like a M28 ought to. Regards, John.
I have one just like you describe... must have slipped in with some M27's for a full refurb. The one I have was reblued and the stock coated similar to my M27, but darker.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. I also pretty sure that the stock was a replacement due to the serial range as well. I got it mostly for the ski stock, but also have been looking for an M28 for a while. The stock is a lighter color than most original Finn finished stocks I've seen, but very similar to the worn areas on my Sk.Y. M39, which has a pretty visibly worn but solid stock.
Nice M28! Your stock looks like it might have been sanded since it's lighter colored, but that's just an opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.