Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link to thread in the Japanese Firearm forum...

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
It is a curious piece. Someone really made a nice job of that. I will kick this up to the top for you and ask:

I have a question and this question is not meant to imply anything. it is just a question. How exactly did you determine this was 45/70. Are we sure it is not something else which is very simialar? For a first cut, I saw your bullet test. I assume that bullet depth is the same on a known 45 rifle. Did you try and chamber a live round or an a-zoom snap cap?

·
Banned
21,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Am I 100% sure its 45-70, no. I don't have any 45-70 brass, snap cap,,nothing... so I'm working on that but it appears a .451 45 ACP bullet is just a tad too small.

More will be known when I get some actual brass.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Back in the day when a Siamese Mauser with a pitted bore was $40,many were bought for the specific purpose of conversion to 45/70. They do uncommonly well for a Mauser conversion,because the Siamese round is a 45/70 case necked down to 8mm.......well not actually ,but it might as well be....I would think some 50% of all the surplus Siamese have been converted.....Handloads can approach 458 WM power,and be a shoulder re arranger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.