Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen! Resently bought a little bayonet collection, and among them there was this Siamese 1907 bayonet. I have heard of these bayonets but never seen one before now. Need your help to identify if it is the real deal or not. Will add more pictures if needed. Regards Arvid

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brasso37! Yes it got thumbs up on a other forum also. I have also learned Siames numbers to day. The serialnumber on the bayonet is 4344. Many of the total of 10000 produced seems to have survived, and it is not so uncommon. Best wishes from Arvid

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Good bayonet for sure. I think the serial number 8388 - ๘๓๘๘, However, it can be hard to differentiate characters. The four and the eight are very similar.

Frank Allan

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
These bayonets were purchased by King Rama's Wild Tiger Corps. I have one & when I looked carefully there are faint British markings where cypher & pattern & ,aker's name was. Right side has bend mark, X and small inspection crown. Rifles were also scrubbed for export.They were supplied in 1919. Some scabbards that had the leather rotted out were replaced with steel! They are correctly Type66.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Siamese/Thai numbers and Type designations

Siamese / Thai numbers have always been problem for collectors, partly due to changes over time in how the numbers appear, especially when used as stamps on weapons. I have attached a section from my book on the Siamese Mauser which may help collectors in deciphering the numbers. If anyone has any doubt about the numbers on their bayonet please let me know and I will be happy to give you the correct translation if you can give me a fairly good photo.

The Wild Tiger Corp SMLEs were designated Type 62 Long Rifles in Siamese service, based upon their partial adoption in 1919, which is the Buddhist Era 2462. They were also known as Rama VI rifles after the reigning monarch at the time of their adoption. The Type 66 is a little known Arisaka-based rifle originally manufactured chambered for the 8x52R cartridge. These were not initially imported into the US when they were surplused by Thailand and very few are in US collections. They have their own very unique and usually miss-identified bayonet.

If anyone has questions please let me know.

Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The Type 62 bayonets fit a standard .303 Brit SMLE. Except for markings they are identical to P1907 bayonets.

The Type 66 bayonets fit the 8x52R Siamese Type 66 Long Rifles.

Happy to help guys. Please let me know if you have any other questions as I have been studying Siamese/Thai weapons for 30+ years.

Frank

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have kept my eyes open for these Siamese P.07 bayonets, and have seen almost exclusively the 4-digit numbers. Have seen only 1 or 2 3-digit numbered bayonets. That is understandable.
Would the first 9 bayonets be numbered 1, 2, 3, etc OR 0001, 0002 etc, and similarly for the 10 to 99 series ?
Regards,
JMB
edit: Have possibly answered my question, since the 3-digit example was not preceded by a zero, but would appreciate input from others.

·
Administrator
10,116 Posts
The T66 Siamese Bayonet is a short version of the T30 Arisaka Bayonet, but unique to the T66 Arisaka...But in WW II, the IJA did adopt a very similar "short" Byt for the T100 SMG; I think the differences are Minor (maybe Muzzle Ring diameter???or not).

I have two T66 Siamese Arisakas, and One "T66 Short Bayonet".

Doc AV

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.