Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
A Siamese Cat excels as an in-home guard dog. Mine didn't much care for anyone arriving unannounced at the front door - nice lady with her baby buggy and a load of Watchtowers beat a hasty retreat when faced with Mai-Tai advancing on her, all fluffed up & ready for battle. He went on to do damage to a Doberman who thought it OK to pi$$ on the front steps. I asked the nice lady at the sidewalk about what her dog was doing on my porch. "Just marking his territory" was her reply. I asked her if she minded if kitty comes out to play. From Balls to nose, Mai-Tai drew blood which left a trail down the sidewalk & down the street. She later tried to hand me a vet bill for $2500 & I told her to forward it to the city, the county & the HOA & they'd fine her for letting her dog run loose despite the local leash laws.

A 200# dog will only tangle with a highly motivated cat once. Little Suzi took exception to a friend she'd never met before & held him cornered in the kitchen until I came out of the bathroom & introduced him. View attachment 2005721

Besides, in a SHTF situation, you can eat them ...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'll take a well trained and socialized Pit Bull, German Shepard, or Giant Schnauzer for guarding property. But I'm happy with little alert terriers as they are great mobile burglar alarms. I like Standard Schnauzers, as they seem to be a good all around dog for me.

·
Administrator
18,339 Posts
I like toy poodles for watch dogs as small dogs are more sensitive to noise and movement and will raise an alarm, but it's best to have several of them. then when one starts barking they all start barking.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Geese, and they lay large eggs too boot.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Everyone knows dogs are among the best criminal deterrents one can get. In hard/bad times, I'm curious what breed you guys believe would serve a guard dog role best?

I am thinking real hard about a fila brasileiro for this task. Yes they are big, and they will eat a little more, but from my experience really no more than a high energy dog like a shepherd. A good buddy has a great dane/mastif mix, over 200 lbs and he eats less than some labs I've seen. This is also true of another friends Fila. The Fila/mastifs are very hearty/strong dogs that I believe would far well in rough times, plus they will not out of boredom chew up everything under the sun. They are quite happy just laying around until the time comes to bite an arm off. They are great around & guarding other animals as well.

What say you guys?
After SHTF...... how many tons of dog food are you having stored for that big arsed 200-pound Dame/Mastiff?

They could pretty easy kill 4 pounds A DAY, which is 1,460 pounds a year,,, 3/4 ton, per year.

What do they eat when you run out of dog food?
You.

Bright side,,, they will feed you a lot more meals than a cat will.

Geese and Guinneas are much better territorial noisemakers, and they lay eggs (the hens do anyhow).

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I like a mix of dogs. the small ones notice alot and yap.. that alerts the big dogs. A dobie plus a yapper plus a strong breed like a lab/rottie mix, plus a hound or beagle.

That gets you the fast, the alert, the imposing, the strong, and the loud.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Heard from owners that DDR Sheppards are excellent guard dogs. I would not want a particularly noisy/barking dog drawing attention to me.
Yep, you will have to feed them, just like everyone else in your family.

Geese and Guineas are somewhat self reliant - first grazer (if you have the grass) - second love bugs, etc, but they will need supplemental feed in most areas
at certain times of year. They will let you know if an intruder is around, but overall way to noisy for me. Again, if SHTF I do not want a bunch of noise coming
from my place.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Noisey?

Geese and Guinneas ain't squat.

A neighbor 1/4 mile W of me has Peafowl.........................................
They visit my yard occasionally roaming around (rural).

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Noisey?

Geese and Guinneas ain't squat.

A neighbor 1/4 mile W of me has Peafowl.........................................
They visit my yard occasionally roaming around (rural).
i totally agree with you, Guinneas are the worst for guard dog, they are just too scared to protect anything, i have seen much chicken out over the slightest thing

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After SHTF...... how many tons of dog food are you having stored for that big arsed 200-pound Dame/Mastiff?

They could pretty easy kill 4 pounds A DAY, which is 1,460 pounds a year,,, 3/4 ton, per year.

What do they eat when you run out of dog food?
You.

Bright side,,, they will feed you a lot more meals than a cat will.

Geese and Guinneas are much better territorial noisemakers, and they lay eggs (the hens do anyhow).

now thats food for thought, though i think Dogs are very smart they know whats going on too. they will adapt and prolly eat what we eat. as long as they don't have to starve.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,185 Posts
Callhooge leopard Louisiana state dog....watches learns with out being taught you, other dogs, cats!
Hearing exceptional not afraid of most anything...cost friendly people friendly ....
Jealous of most other dogs will try to dominate the food bowl!
High pain threshold....over come target ignoring pain....three different sizes. ><> Daniel

·
Diamond Member
13,476 Posts
I have rescues.. want to give a shout out to rescues.. mine are exceptionally loyal.. I have Great Pyrenees a pit bull and a boxer.

The Pyr can take care of itself and feed itself and will share , okay not the first squirrel.. but the second squirrel with the other dogs and they aren't bad at getting their own.. but they are old and nowhere near as fast as the Pyr... that is something that really surprised me.. my son has a greyhound/whippet cross.. damndog is only about 2" thick looking at it head on , obviously no brains between the ears.. it may have some somewhere, but you can't be sure, doesn't seem to use them if it does .. biggest mystery in that dog's life is why it can't catch the Pyr .. the Pyr will run sideways to watch the greyhound whippet try with that big Pyr smile but if the greyhound gets close the Pyr fires some JATO units and sits on the other side of the yard watch the greyhound try to even find it . The Pyr supplies it's own JATO units .. I have never bought a single one and he never seems to run out. Only problem with the Pyr is my privacy fence it only 6 foot tall and normally he stays in the yard.. but he lives for RJ Squirrel to come home .. my kids live on the next block over about 6 houses, or so, apart and we own the house next to my daughter and let my Mother in law winter there from Oct thru April .. sometimes RJ stops by her mom's or the kids places before she comes home and the Pyr is always there to greet her when she opens the car door wherever she stops in the neighborhood if she doesn't come home first

I have a few posts and you tube video's on here about the legend and facts of Pyr's .. If you are looking for a guard dog that is also good protection against Bear Wolves Moose or bad guys you can't go far wrong with the class of Dogs known as Livestock Guard Dogs ( LGD's) of which the Pyr is the stand out example.. they are useless against Geese or Guinea Fowl .. they will try and herd them but mostly they just try and protect them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7KmmTnSDOM

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
My daughter just got an Anatolian / Pyrenees pup. Nice doggie. great with the kids, loyal, but protective when needed. Pyrs are typically nocturnal...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
A Siamese Cat excels as an in-home guard dog.
A "Siamese Cat" is a just a ***** when it comes to "in-home" guard duty...

You need to get yourself a cat like Snowball if you are serious about 'in-home" protection.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
A "Siamese Cat" is a just a ***** when it comes to "in-home" guard duty...

You need to get yourself a cat like Snowball if you are serious about 'in-home" protection.
'
Siamese Cat's why 'Snowball looks all beat to $hit like he does:laugh::laugh::laugh:

After mine was finished with that Doberman, the dog had stitches from nose to nutsack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.