Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it’s been probably asked before?

What’s your choice between any sks semi auto rifle in 7.62x39 vs a Saiga semi auto in 223, vs a Saiga semi auto in 308win?

I feel the sks in 7.62x39 is the most accurate. 1.5” groups at 100yds. Benchrested.
The Saiga in 308 win will print 1.5” groups at 100yds. Benchrested
I never benchrested the Saiga in 223 yet maybe you guys can fill this accuracy in?

Or what’s your SHTF different gun? Caliber?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Whatever you have ammo for. For self defense or hunting or combat there’s practically no difference, vs the alternative of not having a gun/not having a semi auto. Get some good hunting ammo and a case of FMJ, as time and money allow, and call it a day.
My choice would be an SKS, only because you can buy 2-3 of them for the price of a saiga.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Planning on bringing your shooting bench along w you to your shtf scenario ? Choosing the gun you can shoot 100 yards at a bench Might not fit every scenario. Choosing a sks designed in 1948 might not give you an advantage either. You do get the screw driver style bayonet though for close range charges.

Id pick the one i can shoot the fastest at 25 yards from the shoulder. I’ll stay in urban or dense woods. Your stuck defending yourself at a gun range from a shooting bench

.223 will give faster follow up shots.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Who has only one gun for the SHTF scenario? ACH helmet, body armor, as many mags as I can wear and carry, a G19 and a CQB-configured AR. Hopefully I have enough ammo to get to my ammo dump in time to hold off the zombie apocalypse.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,459 Posts
The SHTF weapon ladder.

*Hands
*Rock
*Stick
*Knife
*Spear
*Bow and arrow
*Black powder pistol
*Black powder rifle
*Cartridge revolver
*Cartidge semi auto pistol
*Bolt action cartridge rifle.
*Semi-auto fixed magazine riflr
*Semi- auto 30 round or greater semi auto
*Full auto battle or carbine rifle
*squad machinegun
*artillery, rockets, motorized heavy armor vehicles

·
Registered
777 Posts
L1A1, Vz58 as backup.

I've got other options, but that SLR is a rifle I feel really comfortable with. I'd probably bring a pistol, too, but to be honest I don't really think about pistols all that much. I might even leave it behind for more ammo.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Very thoughtful discussion. I used to keep a DCM M1 Carbine and a M1911A1 at hand with a 12 gauge for the spouse as she covered my six o'clock. I replaced the Carbine when I got my first SKS. One Gun is a starting point in order to harvest better arms from the bad guys who will not need them anymore.

A full caliber bolt gun or semi is a fine stand off arm with some applications. A smaller caliber semi rifle/carbine (7.63x39 or 5.56mm) and a handgun on ones person is more logical with a buddy with a 12 gauge and #4 buckshot. I all depends on ones Terrain and Situation; plan accordingly.

Webley

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd just grab a plain-jane AR so I woudn't stand out too much. ;-) Also, web gear and mag pouches to fit.

The ready-mag holds hollowpoints, and third-from-last is a tracer.

Probably would drop a Glock and mags into a go-bag too..

·
Registered
553 Posts
I really have to say I am tired of this SHTF nonsense. Only one post seemed like it came from a rational person(30-30 post). If you live in that bad an area that you have loaded guns stashed all over the house to get to your REAL guns, you have issues "Tactical equipment" will not solve. The Texas power grid going down in the worst weather is a prime example of a SHTF situation. What are you going to do, burn the wooden stocks on your rifles? Oh, I forgot, tacticool stuff has plastic stocks.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I have a folding stock SKS carbine (7.62x39mm) and several 10 round stripper clips. This little piece has never failed me during the 40+ years I've had it and it is quite accurate out to 125 yds. I believe this would be my first go to piece. My hand gun would be my Hi Power with its three 13 round mags all fully loaded with +P hollow point rounds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really have to say I am tired of this SHTF nonsense. Only one post seemed like it came from a rational person(30-30 post). If you live in that bad an area that you have loaded guns stashed all over the house to get to your REAL guns, you have issues "Tactical equipment" will not solve. The Texas power grid going down in the worst weather is a prime example of a SHTF situation. What are you going to do, burn the wooden stocks on your rifles? Oh, I forgot, tacticool stuff has plastic stocks.
Calm down there Deerhound3.

I do not know why you are even wasting your time here on the post if it gets you worked up like that.

Not many people or should I say the newer or younger crowd of gun owners are elmerfudd's. We like to talk about what ifs all day long.

Most people here are looking for information, or just want to throw out some thoughts of their believe on how shtf is going to go.

As for the issue in Texas it is a sad time for them. Due to certain requirements in building code there was no need for insulation, and add the fact everyone had some storms before that should have made some get ready for anything worse. Alas people are complacent and that allows for what happened to happen.

It is always good to have extra just incase.

As to what I would have well .308 or 30-06.

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I’m to old to bug out so things have changed.

Access to the main house is from the east and west.

2nd floor,
has 4 positions 2 East and 2 west. Each position gets a 9mm semi auto with multiply clips and a belt with holster. Each position gets 3 Mosin Nagants loaded and ready with a case of ammo at each position (why? Because I can). NW corner gets Zastava M91 and an RPK each with with bandolier of mags loaded. SW corner gets converted Vepr sniper in 54r w/ bandolier of loaded mags. SE coroner gets PSL w/ bandolier of loaded mags. NE corner gets converted Vepr sniper and a BM59 each w/ bandolier of loaded mags.

1st floor,
3 positions, east entrance, west entrance, and south entrance. Each position gets loaded TT33 with holster and multiple magazines, and an AK47 with 7 loaded clips. Main entrance also gets a Typhoon F12 with 80 rounds of 00 buck loaded into mags.

The bunker is accessible in the main house and is the fall back position. The bunker includes food, water, armory tools, weapons and ammo.

Things one might find in the bunker. AK74s, M1A’s, SKS’s, AR15’s, PPS 43 & 52, and various postal’s (9mm, Makarov, Tokerev).

But of course non of this can happen since that terrible storage shed fire last summer where I kept everything. I’ll just a Louisville Slugger and a bible when SHTF.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts