Gunboards Forums banner

Sht L.E. MkV

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  brit plumber 
#1 ·
Just picked up a matching example in VG condition from one of the auction sites. Unit disk is missing from the stock but as these were not issued, can I replace with a blank one?

Thanks

#2 ·
Many, probably most, are missing the unit disk. There are many disks floating about that have returned from the sand box; I have half a dozen. There are repros available.
I'd just leave it be, myself.

#8 ·
The 20,000 Mk V' were issued and used around the world. There was a famous(infamous) photograph of one being used in anti-aircraft mode (Korea or Viet Nam, seems to be some question).
They've turned up in India and pawn shops around the world!

#11 ·
The practice of marking the disc was stopped during WW1 when it was discovered captured rifles were giving the enemy information on who they were up against. The MkV rifle being built well after WW1, not sure they would have been marked at all. Anyone got one with what might be legitimate markings in it?

#12 ·
Careful there. I have discs with RAF WW2 dates and flying field numbers. :)

Also, many of the MkV's went to India. Some of those were used as test bed rifles. When Springfield Sporters imported their haul from India, there were many MkV's in various stages of both usefulness and cannibalism. It's very possible that a MkV in the USA spent time there, where they all seemed to have missed the Ishy Screw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.