Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

At our local show this weekend, I picked up a nice Series 20 T99. It is an all matching rifle with a nice stock, cleaning rod, and the early features. Problem is that somewhere along the line, a previous owner polished and reblued the spot where the mum had been ground off. lt looks to be a poor quality cold blue that doesn't match the rest of the rifle at all. I personally think the rifle would look a lot better and have a more historically accurate appearance if the previous "repair" area was reground. I generally "rig" them up and leave them as I find them but would be interested in what you guys have to say. Further, I count on Garfield to let me know if this is a stupid question.

All the best,

Doug

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is a stupid question. "REGRIND", really stupid.

Actually, I would suggest that you buy a commercial blue remover. Brownell's sells a rust and blue remover in gel form. Applied judicially to the area in question with a Q-tip should take care of your problem. I am certain that others have their solutions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hmmm..a intelligent and concise response ,without sarcasm....who are you and what have you done with garfield?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Doug's problem is probably with the post grind "polished" receiver more than the add-on bluing. I say, go wild with a dremel !! Not everyday you can grind a nice 99 receiver top.

Hey by the way ! what is it with all those "cats" on the avatars ?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,195 Posts
Hey by the way ! what is it with all those "cats" on the avatars ?
We have a bunch of saki cup collecting pussies! ;)

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
"Interesting" question, not "stupid" as the tom cat suggests. It's your rifle, you can leave as is, remove the blue only (but why?), or remove the blue and grind. In the collection we are selling we have the low number 35th series, #35. The grind area has been expertly rounded and reblued, they also refinshed the stock. I once owned the rifle sold it to the current owner. Was my fear with that SN, #35, someone would turn it into a CC. Where's my engraving tool?

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning Digger :
Better yet acid etch the mum once again ! and then strike it with a rodent tail file !!!!!!
Adogs are you suggesting that we are becoming feline or sake drinking possies ? aren't you barking up Garfield's tree you tongue dripping Oddie ?.
Ain't Jim Davis fun........
Vicasoto

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Bring it to the next huge gun show and let Ronin set around all day fileing away at it,Imagine the howls thruout the collector realm...Oh, the fun of messin with peoples minds.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Pardon me for being the "restoration police" again...but I would only regrind it with an original Japanese Mum grinder....that way it would be as original as possible.....:D:D:D

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Bill,
Do not, under any circumstance, let Ronin get ahold of that genuine Japanese mumgrinder! No mum in north America would be safe!

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Bill,
I wonder if that tool really did take off any if not thousands of mums? It looks like it could really make short work of quite a few mums.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I have no clue if it is post war or not....got it from a former Bendix engineer's estate. He seemed to have spent some time in Japan right after the war. Anyone get anything from the markings to indicate a date?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Yep, the style of writing and the way they use English description on the box top definitely indicates post-war. No way to date it though, probably 50's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts