Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just passed on a 91/59(thought it was an m38 at first)hex reciever with beautiful sharp,unscrubbed markings-izhevek 1906 ,had the pre 28 bow and arrows and (eagles on both reciever and barrel-`he was asking 125$ for it and i had no idea what a 91/59 is worth these days-not something i would have even really have looked twice at if not for the crisp markings,maybe not unusual at all but i had to ask-scott

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would have bought it for that price.... and I have 5 91/59s. I don't have a hex.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Run of the mill M91/59s are currently selling for $150 from AIM although I think they just went on sale at Big 5 for $130. That's irrelevant if you're not near one though. However, a 1906 date would be extremely unusual for an M91/59 and it would be worth more to someone who collects them. Contrary to popular belief, I really don't, but there are those that do. :rolleyes: In the interest of Gunboards harmony I'm not going to throw a price out there, but will say that it's more than $150. On the other hand, I suspect that what you saw was actually an M91/38 as they tend to run to the earlier dates and few M91/59s are known even as early as the 1920s, much less prior. The M91/38s are not readily available and must be found on the secondary market. I think they're going in the $250 to $350 range these days depending on the maker, condition, etc. Izhevsk is the most common so unless it is also Ka3 (Cossack) marked or in an unusual stock or something of that nature I'd put it on the low end of that range. Either way, definitely worth going back and taking a second look. Hurry, as I type people are trying to figure out where you live and which shop it might be in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd go right back and buy it.
I have seen only one 91/59 for sale and I bought it .
I have a friend that has designs on mine.
It's a really good deal at that price.

Sgt LaBelle

"March or Die"

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
That one qualifies as a DOH!!! if it is either a 91/59 or 91/38.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The thought that it was a 91/38 crossed my mind as well and would be worth more than the 91/59 but you should be able to tell the difference when looking at the markings as it usually states 1891/59 on the barrel shank if its a 91/59. Either way, its worth the price and then some. Go back and get it. If nothing else, you could resell it to one of us if you don't want it.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,363 Posts
Ummm... YES!

Go get it if you can!

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
The easiest way to tell the difference in an M91/59 and an M91/38 is the rear sight. An M91/59 has a long M91/30 rear sight with the graduations above 10 milled off. An M91/38 has the typical carbine (M38 and M44) shore rear sight with graduations up to 10. There's a web site around that even has pictures of these. ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
1,534 Posts
YES!

There are nearly as many rifles that I regret not buying, as those that I actually did buy!

T

·
Silver Bullet member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this must be a 91/38,i checked the website but must have overlooked that one,i thought for a second"it's a 07 carbine!" but was soon brought back to reality as it had a globed front sight-i don't have either one so i guess i'll grab it !-thanks,all-i'll post some pics too

·
Silver Bullet member
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for sure a 91/38 ,it had a czech star marking that i had overlooked,i was more interested in a krag carbine that turned out to be wrong,only so much room in my memory banks from the time i see,till i get home and do research

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
The easiest way to tell the difference in an M91/59 and an M91/38 is the rear sight. An M91/59 has a long M91/30 rear sight with the graduations above 10 milled off. An M91/38 has the typical carbine (M38 and M44) shore rear sight with graduations up to 10. There's a web site around that even has pictures of these. ;)

What website would that be Ted?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I hear there's a CD with that information on it that you can look at offline.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,792 Posts
Isn't he in Federal prison now?

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,832 Posts
Nope. He is just sitting back in one of those places that is filled with like-minded folk who have no compunction against telling the Gov't when it is wrong. :)

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Last I heard, he was stuck in a southern prison playin the ol' games "Pickup the Liquid Soap" and "Sock Full O' Soap" tickling contests.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts