Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fellow is offering me this rifle for $950. Apparently the only thing not matching is the stock but otherwise looks pretty good. It would be my first k98 and I'm not knowledgeable enough to say if I'm paying too much or not. Here's some pictures I got. Ill be seeing the rifle in person before I buy it anyways.
Wood Metal Font Fashion accessory Household hardware
Wood Publication Cylinder Tints and shades Metal
Brown Wood Shotgun Trigger Publication
Tire Bicycle part Automotive tire Cylinder Nickel
Wood Metal Engineering Nickel Titanium
Water Liquid Sky Astronomical object Circle

Wood Cylinder Gun accessory Titanium Metal

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,360 Posts
El paso.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am no expert on mausers, but I have twelve. It is not worth 900 to me. I would place it in the 5 or 6 hundred dollar range. There are still plenty of mausers floating around and I would wait for one in better condition.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If it's worth that to you then get it. You could make it look a lot more correct with correct late war bands and not be out much money. The price, considering it's a very late rifle, isn't that far out of line and not above market at all. It all depends on whether you want it. Me, I'd try to snag for a little less but I'd still snag it as an affordable 1945 rifle if you don't have a '45 dated rifle. I'd do it! Price is fair enough for what it is.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I do want a decent first K98 for the collection but if its worth less than what he's asking I'm not going to bother. I'm fine with waiting there's plenty out there. I don't have an issue paying $1,000 for a pretty decent one assuming it's worth that or more. I just don't want to make a wrong move.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,360 Posts
Good decision. This example is far from decent.

Reactions: timmct and tbird255

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was on the rocks with the rifle i mentioned above as it was. The parts seemed out of place for 1945. Again I'm no expert. But I wanted to see whether if taking a stab at this rifle was worth but at this point i don't think it is. There's plenty of K98s out there and I'm in no rush.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was on the rocks with the rifle i mentioned above as it was. The parts seemed out of place for 1945. Again I'm no expert. But I wanted to see whether if taking a stab at this rifle was worth but at this point i don't think it is. There's plenty of K98s out there and I'm in no rush.
The 45 dated rifles can be some of the hardest to find. I have a Russian Capture SWP45 and I gave a more than $950 for it a few years ago. That one happens to be a sheetmetal rear sight model and I justified that price in my mind in short order. I've never regretted it either. Personally, I prefer the late rifles over the early ones.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,715 Posts
My vote, someone restocked this either from a Sporter or bad duffle cut. Price seems a bit high for a put-together rifle. Mismatch bolt, No biggie. At least it doesn't look like it was ever scoped.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JosephB

·
Silver Bullet member
1,715 Posts
What is the deal with the receiver above the Mod.98 stamp?
As far as the machining, not uncommon, like the faced the front of the receiver for length and deburred separately from forming the receiver... But the change in finish is interesting.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Reactions: JosephB
1 - 20 of 36 Posts